Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Roll Out Switch Problem

Help! I have had numerous problems with my Goodman GMP Furnace. The roll-out switch keeps popping all the time, meaning I wake up to no heat and come home to no heat. The unit is still under warranty and I have a call out to a Gooman Servicer. This will be the 5th or 6th time someone has been out to look at it. I need a PERMANENT fix.....and I don't want to be fobbed off. I wont be able to go home for Christmas if this isn't fixed as I am afriad the pipes in the house will freeze while I'm away. Any advice greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
227 Posts
When the unit first fires up (before the blower turns on) how does the flames from the burners look? Are they nice and blue and shooting straight into the heat exchanger? Now when the blower kicks on, how do they look? Do they start dancing around and coming back out the front on one or two or all the burners? If they start coming back out after the blower comes on, that is a dead give away that either your heat exchanger cell(s) have a crack or the crimp rings that hold the cells together have popped loose (which is just as bad as having the crack itself). Pretty easy on the crimp rings, if they pull the blower motor, there normally will be a pile of them right on top of the housing. They have to pull it anyway to inspect the heat exchanger. If the flames start rolling out once the burner is lit (before the blower even comes on), then you either have an obstruction in the heat exchanger (possibly a partial blockage in the flue pipe but unlikely since the pressure switch makes at start up) or a burner(s) out of adjustment/broke.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi HVAC Doc. Thanks for the reply. Flames are nice and blue. There's a slight kickback when the gas initially lights (just for a second) then they shoot into the heat exchanger. Nothing changes when the blower comes on.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts