Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Working
4,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I had a close call tonight when I unhooked the trailer. My drive way has a slight slope to it and being winter it is is snow covered from today's 2" I cranked the jack down against the ground and took some weight off the truck but not all. The wheel chock was on the other side of the trailer so I stepped on to the hitch. The part between the ball and the bumper.
When I did this the truck was pushed down far enough to completly un hook the trailers coupler from the ball. The trailer slid down the drive way 4" or so into my left foot. This pinned my foot to the bumper by the trailer. It happened in a split second. When I relized what happened it was too late.....STUCK.

After assessing the situation for a few seconds. First tried just pulling my foot out. This did nothing. Then tried pushing the trailer up the slope this didn't work either. Third attempt was to jack the tounge higher up. This was very painfull.
Reassessed the situation after being stuck for a few minutes now. My foot was having a nice tinggling affect on the toes. As much as I hated to I had to call my wife who was inside the house.

Calmly told her I needed help getting the trailer off the ball. She gave me the long OOOOKKKKK because this was the first time I have ever asked her to help me remove a trailer from the truck.
She comesthrough the gate and see what is going on and starts freaking out. Wants to call 911 and have them remove me from being stuck. I finnaly convince her to chock the trailer wheels and drive the truck forward. By this point she is tearing up sitting in the truck. Telling her pull forward only 2' so if my foot is tuck under the bumper on top of the hitch she won't drag me down the drive way.
That statement mad her go into crying mode she pulls the truck forward my foot instantly comes free all is good.
A cut boot and a sore foot is all the damage:clap: other than the wife being freaked out.
Normally I have a helper, but we are going for a long weekend I dropped him off on the way home.

I debated all night if I should post this or not but decided I should just to remind people to be carefull.

Cole

·
Super Moderator
11,937 Posts
You posted for good reason. We all can get complacent in our potentially dangerous jobs and a little dose of reality is something we all need.

On any given day, us sparky's could touch the wrong combination of bus bars accidentally and bite it. The framers have falling hazards that are too numerous to list. Excavators always run the risk of trenching accidents, etc.

I dread checking in here after work and finding that someone that was alive and well the day before died or was injured.

IMO, any close calls or near misses deserve a post to remind us all to be careful out there.:thumbsup:

·
Trailer park boy
4,802 Posts
You posted for good reason. We all can get complacent in our potentially dangerous jobs and a little dose of reality is something we all need.

On any given day, us sparky's could touch the wrong combination of bus bars accidentally and bite it. The framers have falling hazards that are too numerous to list. Excavators always run the risk of trenching accidents, etc.

I dread checking in here after work and finding that someone that was alive and well the day before died or was injured.

IMO, any close calls or near misses deserve a post to remind us all to be careful out there.:thumbsup:
:thumbsup:

·
Focusing on solutions.
Hardwood floors/custom cabinets
5,696 Posts
Crap can happen in a split second. Glad to hear you kept your witts about you & assessed the situation & acted in a calm way. Don't ever hurt to utter a few words of thanks to the man above either.:thumbup:

·
Registered
440 Posts
you called the wife in.. now youll never hear the end of it :no::no:

But glad to hear your ok

:drink::drink::drink:

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
Boy. Why is it that we get hurt doing the things that we have done a thousand times.

One moment of thoughtlessness.

Glad this one worked O.K.

I hate it when I have to call someone to witness my moment of stupidness.--MIKE--

·
Capra Aegagrus
Remodeler
24,914 Posts
I debated all night if I should post this or not but decided I should just to remind people to be carfull.
What's to debate? It gives us a chance to feel superior--for a change, somebody else pulled a nimnal move. :laughing:

Glad it worked out okay; that could have been real ugly. Thanks for the reminder. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
Glad it all worked out Darwin...i mean Cole:thumbsup::laughing:

Takes a guy with a thick flame suit to post moments resulting from brain farts...i got a bunch of stories too, but i prefer to look down instead:laughing::laughing:

Seriously though, glad to hear it worked out, many times we've all probably been doing something and had that split second flash of all the "bad things" that "could happen" but those flashes of what if's are usually what keeps us cool as a cucumber when they do get ugly.:thumbsup: Least you did'nt have to dig out your pocket knife and cut yoru foot off like that poor kid who got his hand caught in a rock:eek:

·
Working
4,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Thanks for being so kind.
Thought I might need the fire department on here from getting flamed for my mistake.

IHI that is funny you said that because I had the same thought being stuck there. Thinking about what that teen went through cutting his limb off. (U R 2000deep)
I think if I had too I could have raised the tounge upward it would have broken my foot but could have goten out of the problem.

Cole

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
We are both laughing with you and at you...HNY....:laughing:
SHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!:laughing::laughing::laughing:

Edit: Cole, just be glad your ole lady HELPED you instead of making it worse...i do believe i would rather cut my limb/s off long before i'd ask my ole lady to assist in any extraction of body parts because i know the pain would be less with my dull/worn out multi tool than it'd be if SHE had any part of it LMFAO!!

·
Contractor
4,742 Posts
glad it turned out 'good'. pretty funny about calling the wife in-cool heads prevail :)

did you pull out the 'duck' tape to fix the boot?

·
Working
4,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
No duct tape on the red wing boot not my style.

May be more damage than first thought. Yesterday it hurt but still put in 8 hours at work. Today though when I woke up it was really swollen up and had trouble walking on it. So much so that I'm not working on the trailer project like I had planned. My toes look like mini sausages and the foot part is easily .5" thicker than the other foot.

Cole

·
Capra Aegagrus
Remodeler
24,914 Posts
Yowch! Sorry to hear that. If you're like too many of us and too bullheaded to go get an x-ray, I hope you're at least chugging some anti-inflammatories. Aleve is my poison of choice.

FWIW, I once had a doctor tell me to take 3x220 mg, 3x/day for several days for an elbow problem, and had no ill effects from it. Regardless of what the instructions say it might do to your gizzard.

·
Working
4,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Um yeah so I went to the er today. With 3 days of pain and swelling it was time. 2 fractured bones. The big toe and the meta something, the ball behind the big toe. That it where the tounge impacted.

Maybe this thread should be renamed instead of close call should be broke my damn foot.

Cole

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
Um yeah so I went to the er today. With 3 days of pain and swelling it was time. 2 fractured bones. The big toe and the meta something, the ball behind the big toe. That it where the tounge impacted.

Maybe this thread should be renamed instead of close call should be broke my damn foot.

Cole
Your going to need a better story to accompany this mess:laughing: Something along the lines of hack subs not doing their job so a swift kick to their azzes, or the wife forgot to put mayo on your sammich and she got a swift kick to her arse, etc......just dont make it your fault is what i'm getting at:laughing:

·
Working
4,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
It's the weather man's fault he forcasted snow. The trailer doesn't slide when there is no snow.

Now I have to figure out how to keep my damn foot warm in this stupid boot. There is no way I am not working at least a little for the next 4-6 weeks.

Cole

·
Working
4,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Here is a pic of about 5 minutes ago I just took the boot off now going to shower. Kind of easy to see the front half got crushed.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts