Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today was our first day got the floor 3/4 framed, garage wall up, tall wall, and a stairwell wall. It's been a real long time since I've had a close call that I actually had to step back and thank the good Lord for looking out for me. I will admit there was a better way we could have gone about this to start.

The day was coming close to the end it was me and a buddy I have come out every once in a while and my labourer had gone home for the weekend. we wanted to finish the garage wall and build a small 6'x9' stair well wall mainly to tie in the tall wall. We built the small wall on the garage wall and slid it off. Stood the garage wall.

It's kind of hard to explain the exact situation but the ground was about 4' lower than the foundation so we out a kicker on started pushing the wall up my buddy hopped on the buck and I was guiding the wall into place. Not exactly sure what happened but while he pushed and I directed the wall lost it's balance and started falling in towards where I was standing. All I hear was "RUN!!" I scurried out of there like a hamster.

Luckily the wall got snaged on the garage wall before hitting the ground. And we were able to take a smarter approach towards the situation.

Afterwards we laughed about the situation and tried to picture how it looked from the perspective of the home owners in the area.

All this to say. I'm thankful to not be typing this in a hospital.

I asked him afterwards if I would have made it if the wall ended up hitting the ground his response was. "You were out of there so fast that you were clear before it even got caught."

Attachments

·
Registered
683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Framer53 said:
Glad to see you made it, my experience with situations like this is that it was because we didn't think it through the first time.
That definately happened in this situation. Afterwards we thought of 2 or 3 ways that would have been far less deadly.

·
Forming and Framing
6,273 Posts
Today was our first day got the floor 3/4 framed, garage wall up, tall wall, and a stairwell wall. It's been a real long time since I've had a close call that I actually had to step back and thank the good Lord for looking out for me. I will admit there was a better way we could have gone about this to start.

The day was coming close to the end it was me and a buddy I have come out every once in a while and my labourer had gone home for the weekend. we wanted to finish the garage wall and build a small 6'x9' stair well wall mainly to tie in the tall wall. We built the small wall on the garage wall and slid it off. Stood the garage wall.

It's kind of hard to explain the exact situation but the ground was about 4' lower than the foundation so we out a kicker on started pushing the wall up my buddy hopped on the buck and I was guiding the wall into place. Not exactly sure what happened but while he pushed and I directed the wall lost it's balance and started falling in towards where I was standing. All I hear was "RUN!!" I scurried out of there like a hamster.

Luckily the wall got snaged on the garage wall before hitting the ground. And we were able to take a smarter approach towards the situation.

Afterwards we laughed about the situation and tried to picture how it looked from the perspective of the home owners in the area.

All this to say. I'm thankful to not be typing this in a hospital.

I asked him afterwards if I would have made it if the wall ended up hitting the ground his response was. "You were out of there so fast that you were clear before it even got caught."
I hate close calls like that, but ill take them any day over the real deal.

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
C2projects said:
Today was our first day got the floor 3/4 framed, garage wall up, tall wall, and a stairwell wall. It's been a real long time since I've had a close call that I actually had to step back and thank the good Lord for looking out for me. I will admit there was a better way we could have gone about this to start. The day was coming close to the end it was me and a buddy I have come out every once in a while and my labourer had gone home for the weekend. we wanted to finish the garage wall and build a small 6'x9' stair well wall mainly to tie in the tall wall. We built the small wall on the garage wall and slid it off. Stood the garage wall. It's kind of hard to explain the exact situation but the ground was about 4' lower than the foundation so we out a kicker on started pushing the wall up my buddy hopped on the buck and I was guiding the wall into place. Not exactly sure what happened but while he pushed and I directed the wall lost it's balance and started falling in towards where I was standing. All I hear was "RUN!!" I scurried out of there like a hamster. Luckily the wall got snaged on the garage wall before hitting the ground. And we were able to take a smarter approach towards the situation. Afterwards we laughed about the situation and tried to picture how it looked from the perspective of the home owners in the area. All this to say. I'm thankful to not be typing this in a hospital. I asked him afterwards if I would have made it if the wall ended up hitting the ground his response was. "You were out of there so fast that you were clear before it even got caught."
Glad to hear you made it out ok.

·
Designer/Contractor
4,793 Posts
Glad things worked out okay for you of course. It's part of the business but hopefully a rare part of it. I've learned that whenever the little warning voice goes off in my head to stop and analyze the situation carefully before proceeding.

·
Registered
534 Posts
I prefer to build tall walls in place. Had too many close calls myself. Might take a little longer but everyone goes home at the end of the day. Built a few large garages out of rough cut lumber in the past. You couldn't lift the walls if you wanted to. Just started building them in place and never stopped.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts