Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
55,550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just heading to bed and I get a weird feeling. So I check out the cellar to see if the sump pumps are doing their thing. I look down the stairs and don't really see anything amiss. Still got that funny feeling. So I go down to the floor level and see the 1st (of 3) pumps has a little water coming out of the sump hole. The pump is running, no water is flowing. So I push down on the float stick (old fashion sump) and it comes up and no change. No water flowing. I unplug it and a rush of smoke comes out of the motor. Nice....

I pull it out of the sump hole and the thing is basically cut in two. The pipe supporting the motor rusted all the way through and the spindle was no longer spinning the pump auger.

Well, I went out an bought two of the newer style pumps a while back and only needed to use one. I decided that I would keep the extra one, glad I did. Only took 10 minutes to swap things out.

I can only imagine the worst..the motor bursting into flames in the middle of the night and burning the house down with me and my boy in it.

Good things for feelings.....:shutup:

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
55,550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
3 pumps for 20 years now.

·
Project Manager HFH..
3,711 Posts
Glad you caught it Leo....
Man I sure do lead a sheltered life.Spending almost all of my life in California.I have never even been in a house with a basement.So I obviously have never even seen a sump pump...

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
55,550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
This is the type I had

And this is what I replaced it with

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
55,550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Do you have a smoke detector in the basement and interconnected to ones on your sleeping level?? If not that should have been a wake up call.
Old house, have the detectors, but none of them are inter-connected.

·
Banned
669 Posts
Nice! Never ignore yer gut!

... don't forget to spend a little time on your knees tonite.

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
I have the same type you had. I get 'em with the long warrenties and they always break before the warrenty is up. I haven't bought one in 8 years but replaced 3:whistling. I have a battery back-up to tide me over until I replace the one in the sump.

·
Builder/Remodeler
3,805 Posts
Glad you caught it Leo.

My area is the land of sump pumps and sewage ejectors...

Zoeller makes some of the best:

I've never liked the wire float sump pumps. I's too easy for them to hang up--especially in a smaller pit with backups.

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
This is the type I had
Thats what I have, I had mine unplugged until last week when we had record setting rainfall that was flooding basements all over the city. My friend/neighbour called me up "your basement flooding yet" I looked down "nope just a little trickel comming in".

Then I looked at the sump hole and saw it full, so I plugged the pump in and smoked poured out of me. The next 45 minutes were spent with an empty wirenut jug, a cooler, and a five gallon pail...until a friend that stopped by to chat grabbed my sump pump plugged it in and bashed it against the floor and waked it right up!

·
Finishing Carpenter
1,332 Posts
Do you have a smoke detector in the basement and interconnected to ones on your sleeping level?? If not that should have been a wake up call.
You can get the smoke detectors that talk to each other- wireless. This saves you the trouble and time to run connecting wires throughout your house. There are battery ones, and hard wired- we got 4 recently, ordered them from California. (couldn't find the hard wired ones here in B.C.)

good luck!!!

Laurie

www.lauriescustomfinishing.ca

·
Carpe Diem
20,742 Posts
I totally agree with Chris. I just finished remodeling 2 basements that had water damage. We only spec Zoeller pumps and put battery back ups on every job. You can get 2500 GPH back up system for well under $500. That's insurance I'm all over.
BTW, in spring, my pump went out after a rainy night. Actually, it wouldn't shut off. I, too got lucky as I went into the basement right before I left my house to catch it. I unplugged the pump and timed how long it took for the well to fill. I had 25 mins to get a new pump and get back home. It worked out for me but I have a crappy Coleman pump right now :sad:. In the fall, I'll be redoing mine with a Zoeller and backup system.
Glad you followed the gut feeling!

·
4,617 Posts
If you have a basement that tends to flood, I would suggest a backup pump with a battery back up. You'll hate the extra money it cost until you need it, then you'll be damned glad you spent it. Just MHO.

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
55,550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
It has to get pretty bad to get the basement to flood. Only once did I have a flooding problem, the water got up high enough to leak into the furnace box, weird noise.

But I had disconnected one of the pumps on purpose and by accident I had turned off another. It was raining pretty hard all week and with no protection it took a few days for it to get to this level. I have to levels to the cellar, the lower section is controlled by two pumps but really only requires one since they are connected. Other than that the normal worst it gets is about 1/2"

No damage was done to the furnace and it was the only time I had a flood (9") in the cellar. Not to worried about a battery backup. Plus I have an inverter in the truck that will take care of any problems I might have, as long as I am there. I am only gone one week a year. So chances are good I will be there.

·
Builder/Remodeler
3,805 Posts
It has to get pretty bad to get the basement to flood. Only once did I have a flooding problem, the water got up high enough to leak into the furnace box, weird noise.

But I had disconnected one of the pumps on purpose and by accident I had turned off another. It was raining pretty hard all week and with no protection it took a few days for it to get to this level. I have to levels to the cellar, the lower section is controlled by two pumps but really only requires one since they are connected. Other than that the normal worst it gets is about 1/2"

No damage was done to the furnace and it was the only time I had a flood (9") in the cellar. Not to worried about a battery backup. Plus I have an inverter in the truck that will take care of any problems I might have, as long as I am there. I am only gone one week a year. So chances are good I will be there.
Go out to the shop RIGHT NOW...and knock on some wood... :laughing:

1 - 20 of 33 Posts