Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all

We completed work on deck in sherwood park (of which we weren't given a print) and have not been given a specific reason why it is not to code. It is. hangered and bolder to the foundation and also has piles etc it's pretty much framed like a stair well for those who understand that.

Anyways we recieved payment in full for the deck and the next job was for some deck work on a project in Ardrossa and now the client wants to hold funds back from this job and is justifying it because of "issues" with the deck of which we are unsure what exactly is wrong nor have we recieved a call to go back and do any deficency work that has been found. This was paid nearly one month ago to us and we haven't been contacted by the guy.

Can he actually do that ...hold funds back on a completely different project ..he's a one time client and we definitely don't need the work rom him it was more a short term thing.

Thoughts , insite and opinions please

Thanks,

Eric
Alberta, Canada

·
Registered
188 Posts
If there are indeed any outstanding issues they are your responsibility to correct them provided they are code violations. What did the inspector say on his final inspection? Get a copy of his inspection report.

Should the customer hold back funds on a completed job your next step is to file a lien on the property. In AB you only have 45 days from invoice to do so.

As for not paying in full on one job and withholding that from future payments he can't do that as they should be separate contracts.

·
GC/carpenter
43,902 Posts
Hi all

We completed work on deck in sherwood park (of which we weren't given a print) and have not been given a specific reason why it is not to code. It is. hangered and bolder to the foundation and also has piles etc it's pretty much framed like a stair well for those who understand that.

Anyways we recieved payment in full for the deck and the next job was for some deck work on a project in Ardrossa and now the client wants to hold funds back from this job and is justifying it because of "issues" with the deck of which we are unsure what exactly is wrong nor have we recieved a call to go back and do any deficency work that has been found. This was paid nearly one month ago to us and we haven't been contacted by the guy.

Can he actually do that ...hold funds back on a completely different project ..he's a one time client and we definitely don't need the work rom him it was more a short term thing.

Thoughts , insite and opinions please

Thanks,

Eric
Alberta, Canada
Lien the property.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

If there are indeed any outstanding issues they are your responsibility to correct them provided they are code violations. What did the inspector say on his final inspection? Get a copy of his inspection report.

Should the customer hold back funds on a completed job your next step is to file a lien on the property. In AB you only have 45 days from invoice to do so.

As for not paying in full on one job and withholding that from future payments he can't do that as they should be separate contracts.
As it turns out they did not get a permit for it as it was 23.75" from final grade to top of deck against the house. It slopes back to front but I guess even with that it was slightly over 24" from grade so time needed a permit. I haven't seen an inspection report and I have been unable to obtain any notes from an authority as to structural problems. The client and I are not on good terms as I was not going to role over and just accept it

·
GC/carpenter
43,902 Posts
As it turns out they did not get a permit for it as it was 23.75" from final grade to top of deck against the house. It slopes back to front but I guess even with that it was slightly over 24" from grade so time needed a permit. I haven't seen an inspection report and I have been unable to obtain any notes from an authority as to structural problems. The client and I are not on good terms as I was not going to role over and just accept it
Raise the grade

1 - 9 of 9 Posts