Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I gave a written quote which was approved and did 75% of the work in a 100 year old homes bathroom. Client was fine but suddenly is claiming my work is poor, walls not level, drywall not close enough. Apparently her neighbor who does side work is saying all of my work is done incorrectly. It is not. I explained everything to her but now she wants me to stop work and give money back because she claims it will all have to be redone. I don't believe they have the money for the final payment and this is there way out. This also happened right after she discovered we have very different political beliefs, which does not matter to me but they are very into it. Trying to plan next step. I'm not giving the 50% they paid back as I did 75% of the work and it is quality. Looking for some ideas how to handle

·
Radical Basement Dweller
30,132 Posts
I gave a written quote which was approved and did 75% of the work in a 100 year old homes bathroom. Client was fine but suddenly is claiming my work is poor, walls not level, drywall not close enough. Apparently her neighbor who does side work is saying all of my work is done incorrectly. It is not. I explained everything to her but now she wants me to stop work and give money back because she claims it will all have to be redone. I don't believe they have the money for the final payment and this is there way out. This also happened right after she discovered we have very different political beliefs, which does not matter to me but they are very into it. Trying to plan next step. I'm not giving the 50% they paid back as I did 75% of the work and it is quality. Looking for some ideas how to handle
Please post some pictures of the work in question.
Were the walls not level or not plumb? Big difference.

·
Super Moderator
24,787 Posts
How big $$$ wise is this project?

Small claims or an attorney and sue her for breach.

Do you have an arbitration clause?

·
Registered
Remodel
31,610 Posts
If you don't have plenty of pictures, get them.

Include shots of a level to show plumb and plane.

·
Registered
Remodel
31,610 Posts
If you have a contract, make sure you follow the terms.

Are you required to be licensed in your state to perform this work, and is it permitted?

·
Registered
GC
1,104 Posts
Don't get defensive or angry, just go over her concerns one by one and explain why the things you've done are correct. If that doesn't work go to court.

·
Registered
Remodel
31,610 Posts
If they boot you, in some states you may be able to lein for the contract balance.

·
Registered
873 Posts
You're not getting any more money, you're not suing, and you're not placing a lien. Move on to the next job and use this experience to sharpen your customer selection skills.
This is mostly correct.
Have a final sit down and try to work it out. Sounds like you're 75% done and they've only paid 50%. Tell them to get caught up on payment and you'll finish the job, as well as address anything within reason they are not pleased with, otherwise you are going to have to leave and work elsewhere. Put this in writing as well and keep a copy showing that you've tried to resolve everything.

·
Registered
31 Posts
You're not getting any more money, you're not suing, and you're not placing a lien. Move on to the next job and use this experience to sharpen your customer selection skills.
Sadly, this.

For all you know, this is a crazy person's mind working on how to back out of something they can't afford and they save face by trying to make you lose it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

Issue was resolved with a more indepth conversation. Thanks for replies. Mostly helpful

1 - 20 of 34 Posts