1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Res. Contractor/Cabinetry
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A remodel of a master bath ( total remodel) Master bedroom wood floors,
Living and dining room wood floors that I am in charge of was going so
smooth... until... -- Last wednesday, I called the wood floor installer and
asked him to start in the master bedroom on monday , because I would be away until
Tuesday and I would not prep the living and dining rooms for tearout until
then. He said no problem. I get there today and found out he jackhammered the floors in those areas without covering anything. Dust all over the residence. Customers get home from work last night and spent
most of the night cleaning. As of this morning I asked, the flooring store why he didn't cover anything and was told we do not do that. Nor do we clean. I mentioned my call to the installer last week and was told he couldn't start in the other room because he had to start in the living room as it led into the master bedroom. Well when I mentioned that the purpose was to keep this place clean --- that is not their problem.
Just wondering how you see it?
Thanks JB

·
Registered
18 Posts
I built my business on being clean and this is something that many contractors don't put enough emphasis on, which benefits me.

There will be no sub on my job if I am not there also. I've been in the contracting business long enough to know that you do not trust other contractors with your job.

I would most certainly withhold money from that sub. Even if you weren't there I can't image a sub being at your job site without some means of getting in touch with you if need be. So, if he was able to contact you he should have done so concerning the fact that nothing was covered before making a mess.

If it wasn't his responsibility to cover anything up or tape off the room, he should have rescheduled the job and charged you for it.

At the end of the day however, this one will be chalked up as lesson learned... the hard way.

I have a contractor friend that was doing work in a customer's house sanding sheetrock. He taped the entry ways into the room off nice and neat, but forgot that the air conditioning return was in that room and he forgot to turn off the sir conditioning. Guess what...

I called him and I heard what sounded like dishes being washed and asked him what he was doing - washing dishes of course. I can see him wearing his toolbelt and an apron standing at the sink washing dishes. That's a mighty expensive maid.

·
Banned
14,078 Posts
Punch them all in the F'n face.

I can't think of anything that tops the list that boils my blood then the sub who takes the stance of indignation that anybody expecting them to be doing anything other than the actual work in their business name is out of their minds.

·
solar guy
1,917 Posts
Punch them all in the F'n face.

I can't think of anything that tops the list that boils my blood then the sub who takes the stance of indignation that anybody expecting them to be doing anything other than the actual work in their business name is out of their minds.
I agree wholeheartedly

Bet you 5 bucks the guy was a pieceworker.

·
I'm a Mac
5,487 Posts
It's your job, be there

You want to take off and have no supervision for the subs this is your fault. Don't blame the sub, even though he is an *******, you are still responsible

·
Registered
910 Posts
A remodel of a master bath ( total remodel) Master bedroom wood floors,
Living and dining room wood floors that I am in charge of was going so
smooth... until... -- Last wednesday, I called the wood floor installer and
asked him to start in the master bedroom on monday , because I would be away until
Tuesday and I would not prep the living and dining rooms for tearout until
then. He said no problem. I get there today and found out he jackhammered the floors in those areas without covering anything. Dust all over the residence. Customers get home from work last night and spent
most of the night cleaning. As of this morning I asked, the flooring store why he didn't cover anything and was told we do not do that. Nor do we clean. I mentioned my call to the installer last week and was told he couldn't start in the other room because he had to start in the living room as it led into the master bedroom. Well when I mentioned that the purpose was to keep this place clean --- that is not their problem.
Just wondering how you see it?
Thanks JB
If you are a GC it is your responsibility to babysit the subs. I usually show up with a fully stocked diaper bag.

·
Professional Instigator
6,872 Posts
A sub to me better know his job and how to do it well. I am not paying you to come and babysit.

I pay well and on time. I would have whopped his ass.

That is unacceptable work, the lack of pride in our trades is killing us.

I am not taking off and babysitting anyone. They would have gotten back charged and I would have hope and prayed they asked me about their money.

Do not make excuse for nasty, lazy unskilled hacks. f-em that stuff boils my blood.

I use to deal with it not anymore, 10 years hack free. Hire the right subs and avoid the f-ups and those that don't take responsibilty for them

Amen

·
Registered
6,102 Posts
A similar problem with materials. Yesterday my local lumber yard delivers 40 shts. drywall, T bar cieling. The driver has one of those little forklifts on the back of the truck and says he'll drop the load on the driveway. I tell him " I don't think so, put it in the garage " which he can't do with the fork lift. So he calls his boss, boss says take it in the driveway or we'll take it back.

I told them fine, take it back. Idiots, who delivers drywall and leaves it outside?

So yard number two says they will load it right into the home, extra $40.
It's coming Monday.

I would think in these difficult times, the first guys would want the business, guess not. But I'm not putting up with idiots like that.

·
Registered
168 Posts
One of my subs made a half-ass attempt to protect some wood flooring while he was removing a window yesterday.

He had paper taped down, a little cardboard thrown over that, then a little more paper. But, he didn't bring the protection all the way to the wall. He was standing on loose nails, and various debris from the window that was laying directly on the floor and/or on the paper. I nearly had a heart attack when I walked in.

Luckily, there was no damage to the floor, but we had to have a little "come to jesus" meeting.

He got the message, but man, why did he have to be so sloppy to begin with?

Some of these guys don't understand just how vulnerable we are when we're inside a client's home. They really don't get it.

·
Banned
14,078 Posts
A sub to me better know his job and how to do it well. I am not paying you to come and babysit.

I pay well and on time. I would have whopped his ass.

That is unacceptable work, the lack of pride in our trades is killing us.

I am not taking off and babysitting anyone. They would have gotten back charged and I would have hope and prayed they asked me about their money.

Do not make excuse for nasty, lazy unskilled hacks. f-em that stuff boils my blood.

I use to deal with it not anymore, 10 years hack free. Hire the right subs and avoid the f-ups and those that don't take responsibilty for them

Amen
Double Amen.

Only in contractoring is baby sitting a grown man considered normal. A self-employed business owner to boot! :sad:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts