Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Helo all. I am a deck builder in upstate NY.Very hot right now. I was wondering what to use to clean circular saw blades after cutting several decks worth of PT lumber. Is it even worth the time or do I just toss them and buy new ones? The teeth don't get chipped or anything, just gummed up with sap. If anyone has ideas or thoughts I would love to hear them. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
6,858 Posts
I use a spray-can product, - - I think it's called 'Gum-Out'. Works pretty good. I had bought a case of it on sale before Woodworkers Warehouse closed down. I'm sure it can be found over the net.

·
Electrical Contractor
2,411 Posts
Hey neighbor. I have always heard oven cleaner works well. Never tried it though.
IMO, for the low cost (<$10) of a decent 7.25" framing blade it would not be terrible to just toss it after each job if it's that bad. I assume this much can be built into the price of the job.;)

·
Registered
6,858 Posts
I forgot about that, Speedy, - - but you're right, - - I've heard about the oven cleaner for it for years, - - supposed to work really good, - - nasty stuff though, huh?

I kind of agree with you in one sense, - - 'if' it's a cheap blade, - - but sometimes it's good to clean it as you're using it. I'm usually using 40 tooth blades in my sidewinder, - - they cost more, - - but get better cuts and more bang for the buck over-all.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wow. thanks for the quick replys. I guess I should try and silicone them as I go. maybe i will try that on my next blade.

·
Registered
378 Posts
I use marathon "green" blades almost exclusively. They have a coating that reduces friction/gumming of blades,tool dist. or lumberyard may have carry these. Have not seen these at the local big box.

·
DGR,IABD
9,683 Posts
At the risk of sounding ignorant (too late maybe), I have to ask. Does the buildup occurs on circular saw blades when sawing certain types and species of wood affect the performance of the saw? or is it just a housekeeping issue?

·
Registered
6,858 Posts
Yes, it affects the performance exponentially, - - when the blade 'gums', - - it effectively dulls, - - meaning less 'chiseling' action in the cutting process, - - and therefore more 'friction' action, - - leading to more heat, - - causing blade expansion, - - compounded by 'wobble', - - then even more friction, - - causing a 'burning' action, - - leading to more dulling, - - etc., etc.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I really started a dicussion here. I just don't like waste and figured with a little work I could save the blades. The teeth really aren't shot( not chipped or dull) just gummed up. Maybe I should ask on the deck forum and see what other guys cutting PT do. Probably not worry as much as me :cheesygri

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
Dad always had a small pail of kerosene or mineral spirts that we put the blades in overnight.
I still build in the cost of new blades to a job. You can resurrect a few old ones and lose some brand new ones.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Have you ever tried "Goof Off" they sell it at HD. I've never cleaned saw blades with it, but, everything else I have used it for it's been great. And it's not harsh on the lungs or skin.

·
Deck Designer/Builder
2,430 Posts
I've seen spray cans of "saw blade cleaners" in big box stores up here - it may be the one Tom is talking about, can't remember.

Also, one thing I always do is have seperate blades for the PT and cedar and switch them after the framing is done.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts