Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a lot of trees around my house and my roof is developing moss or something on the shingles.I own a small power washer but have not attempted to clean the shingles(asphalt).

Do you think the power washer is a good way to clean it and should I also use some type of cleaner!?? The roof is about 10 years old.

Thanks,

J

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
AaronB. said:
Look for a product online knwon as roof-a-cide.
Hi,

If I was reading it correctly, roof-a-cide is a company providing service as opposed to a product.

I was hoping to do it myself.

Thanks,

J

·
Registered
83 Posts
Bleach water and a light hosing can do the trick. Don't use to much bleech. Otherwise there are some products on the market that can deal with this moss issue.

Also, an older way to deal with this is to install zinc strips and allow nature and a chemical reaction to handle this one.

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
Here's something to read thread

Use the search engine above to find other threads. Keywords like 'roof cleaning' 'pressure wash roof', etc.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
PipeGuy said:
Here's something to read thread

Use the search engine above to find other threads. Keywords like 'roof cleaning' 'pressure wash roof', etc.

Thank You! Exactly what I was looking for.

·
Commercial Roofing
1,220 Posts
UPDATE: The zinc strips work well and will kill the algae as it spawns, thereby preventing build-up, but it has a tough time if installed on roofs with already present growth.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Also if replacing a roof that has had algae problems, there are algae resistant shingles availible .These have zinc/copper granules embeded in surface,may need to be special ordered.

·
Commercial Roofing
1,220 Posts
Yes, these work well. I guess the algaecide is supposed to last aroung ten years.

·
Registered
8 Posts
plumguy said:
I have a lot of trees around my house and my roof is developing moss or something on the shingles.I own a small power washer but have not attempted to clean the shingles(asphalt).

Do you think the power washer is a good way to clean it and should I also use some type of cleaner!?? The roof is about 10 years old.

Thanks,

J
I do this for a living. Go to a pool supply store and pickup some Chlorine at 12% concentration of Sodium Hypochlorite (same active ingredient in bleach). Mix it with water 1/1 (making it 6%) and spray on your roof. Let it sit until the moss is gone and spray off under light pressure. Best to keep the roof wet with the mixture while it's working. Make sure you pre-wet your plants and/or cover them. Keep spraying plants with plenty of water to dilute any overspray. Good Luck!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Algacide

A real algacide will only be garanteed for about three years.

12.5% Sodium Hypochlorite over hydroxide any day. In spraying hydroxide on a roof a light mist came back at me. It took the tint off of my sun glases. A little got in my mouth and it MADE me thow up instantly. I had a scrape on my face from earlier that morning and it began burning with just a mist. Hydroxide is best used on oil stains on concrete. It is a petrolium emulsifyer. Shingles are petrolium based with silica cristals. Guess what a highly concentrated solution of hydroxide will do to a shingle roof over time...

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
Amazing what we all go through, why don't we make the same money as doctors or lawyers?

·
Registered
8,573 Posts
I didn't read all the replies. This thread really took off. Anyways after speaking with many professional roof cleaners they all state to stay away from high pressures on a roof. You will cause more damage then good. You will need a pressure washer to get bulk off your roof before applying the algacide, however you will want to control the PSI using various methods this is easily accomplished.

After the roof is clean you apply the algacide, then so you don't have to go through all this again in a few years I say to apply zinc or copper strips. Zinc and copper are heavy metals and do not mix well with moss, algae and fungus. The zic/copper strips will prevent the plant life from growing back.

In addition some shingle manufacturers have factory installed algae protection. I encourage you to look into these types of shingles when it comes time to repalce your roof. They come with 15 year guarantees against various plant growth.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts