Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do you all do to get your paint brushes and rollers clean. I have spent a lot of time cleaning my stuf and it still is not the way I want it and not totally clean. Any tips, tricks and/or suggestions? I mainly do waterbased paints and interior painting

·
Pro Painter
2,314 Posts
That's all good advice. Try also removing as much paint from the rollers as possible before washing with your five in one.....that's what the little half circle is for! Then spin them out with the hose...best way known to man. For brushes, run water directly on the brush while pushing the brush out on something like a clean lid, or you can use a cut pot. You don't have to mash the bristles, just mash out one side, then flip. Continue until clean.

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
For waterbased paints try this. Use damp rags for wiping up drips, etc. rinse often and throw into a 5 gal. pail 1/2 filled with water if they get too loaded. Never let them dry.

Brushes should be cleaned a few times a day, some old dudes say every hour but I'm not that fanatical. At the end of the day, rinse them off with a hose to get out most of the paint and then hang them in the bucket on some hooks made from coathanger wire.

Rollers get a fair rinse and also get tossed into the bucket. Drive home.

At home, give the brushes a quick spin, scrape the rollers with your multitool and wring out the rags. Proceed to the washing machine. Set the load on high/large, throw in about 1/2 the normal amount of TIDE and pitch everything in. Crack a cold one and proceed to supper. At the end of the cycle, comb out your brushes and hang, give the rollers a quick spin with a spinner to fluff them and stand on end on some newspaper. Rags proceed to the dryer. Crack another cold one and go enjoy the family.

I tried running the rollers through the dryer a few times under varying condtions. They come out looking like new but the ends of the tubes get dinged.

·
...jammin
5,234 Posts
Scraper (on the 5in1) for sleeves
Comb and Brush for brushes
Hot hot water
Spinner (usually in a 5 gallon bucket) for both
repeat
repeat

I have put sleeves in the washing machine, (I did have the "I bought the damn thing" excuse...it worked)
Never tried brushes though....

·
Pro Painter
2,314 Posts
I've never used the washing machine for anything but drop cloths, and those I take to the laundromat and use THEIR machines for, lol!

Speaking on the wet rag thing that Teetor mentioned....I keep a bucket with wet rags just for such an occassion and carry a dry one with me. Here's the tip I thought I'd add: When I do my caulking I work directly out of the water bucket. I usually leave the rag in the water and use my finger to smooth my caulk after wetting it in the bucket. Any excess caulk on the fingers rinses off with one dip and a rub against the rag in the bottom. Then, I'm left with a clean, wet finger to lay down the smoothest, cleanest caulk job you've ever seen. Of course, cutting the slightest possible angle in your tube as close to the tip as possible to get a good flow without much excess is critical as well. You'll never see lumps in my corners, finger streaks, or dingleberries from dry fingering caulk.

Here's another good one. When caulking and puttying your trim, always putty first. If not, you'll touch your wet caulk with dry hands and ruin it's look. When caulking, caulk tops and bottoms of trim (don't forget sides on doors). Also use the caulk for any inside corners of trim/crown, but use putty for all of your outside corners, and sand the miters to make sure they meet nicely. This also goes for the face trim on door casings where the 45 miter is at the top left and right on each side...sand and use putty. Caulk in either of these areas ALWAYS looks bad. (inside corners would be like the corner of a room, outside corners are where the corner of a wall sticks out)

Wish I had the money or knew someone to build my website because I'm allready planning on adding a "Tips" section with things like this. One step at a time for me.....I think customers will enjoy having a whole section of tips for free to read about, and also give them a glimpse into our painting process. :Thumbs:

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
AA, Nate is always asking for material.

·
Professional Tradesman
307 Posts
Thiss is what I use to clean rollers...Quick and easy. Attach to hose or sink, a couple of passes thru and your done. Can be bought at any sears.

Attachments

·
...jammin
5,234 Posts
Teetorbilt said:
... scrape the rollers with your multitool and wring out the rags. Proceed to the washing machine. Set the load on high/large, throw in about 1/2 the normal amount of TIDE and pitch everything in...
I switched to Wooster roller covers today
The Purdy/SW thing means I can't get the Purdy covers...well from my regular guy anyway
These Woosters have the plastic inside sleeve
So I threw them in the washer tonight on low and the ends got all dinged up
Is that a Wooster thing?

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
I never had a washer problem, just the dryer. Maybe you have a violent washer.

·
...jammin
5,234 Posts
ProWallGuy said:
I will say we use Wooster 50/50's almost exclusively.
They kick a$$. :Thumbs:
Never used Wooster before ever
Funny because I use a Wooster Sherlock roller and poles
I simply won't roll w/o them

No complaints so far on the sleeves (today lol)
In fact I liked them just fine (though I was a bit grumpy about the forced change)
I don't think they said 50/50 but maybe I just didn't notice

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
The only wife problem that I had was #1. She was an RN and I was working on diesels. Diesel carbon will penetrate everything.

·
...jammin
5,234 Posts
GPI said:
Thiss is what I use to clean rollers...Quick and easy. Attach to hose or sink, a couple of passes thru and your done. Can be bought at any sears.
What the heck is that thing?
Do you pass the sleeve through the larger ring and water shoots at it?

·
Registered
167 Posts
ProWallGuy said:
Never done the washer thing, my wife would shoot me dead.

I will say we use Wooster 50/50's almost exclusively.
They kick a$$. :Thumbs:

I tried the washer thing and the rollers / sleeves came out perfect...very clean. However, although the brush also came out clean, it actually broke one of the agitator fins in the washer. Bad idea to put your brush in the washer...not sure what I was thinking. Wife doesn't know yet.

Zeebo

1 - 19 of 19 Posts