Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am having a little trouble figuring on how to clean the concrete panels on a 18 story building.

the spec is calling for Prosoco EnviroKlean SafRestorer. this is an acid based cleaner that requires the substrate to be wet before it is applied. it is also saying that it should be rinsed with equipment generating 400-1000psi with a water flow rate of 6-8 gallons per minut. hear may increase productivity

I plan on using a 49' swing stage - the areas are blocked out at 52' wide.

my questions are:

1. i am not going to be able to keep the bottom of the wall wet. by the time i wash up to the 18th floor I am sure the bottom will be dry. how can i keep it wet and do i really have to?
  2. the material data pages state it is safe for most glass, architectural metals and painted surfaces. I am not worried about the painted surfaces - we are painting them anyway. but the glass and anodized aluminum window frames are a concern. think i have to protect them?
  3. Do you think this product will kill all the landscaping after it runs off into the flower beds and lawn?
this is a large project and I have a very good shot at it. I just dont want to get burned and loose money and at the same time I dont want to bid myself out of the project.

any thoughts about the lagistics of washing he concrete would be appriciated.

here is a pic. so you can see the building.

Attachments

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Man, you guys are no help! I quoted it at $67K to wash the stone aggregate with the Prosoco SafRestorer. Hope i dont etch any glass

the paint cost came in at $140K for the previously painted balcony ceilings and walls.

Concrete Repairs came in at $265K

I should hear something by Friday.

·
Registered
5,425 Posts
If i had exp with that kind of project, i would happily chime in, unfortunately i would be standing there scratching my head trying to figure out how to get that high up, I can tell you i would not attempt it without some kind of BOOM platform. GMOD

·
Super Moderator
11,937 Posts
Man, you guys are no help!
Maybe nobody here knew. It's better to get no advice, than advice psoted by someone "just guessing" that might potentially mislead you.

I hope you get the job and make money at it. I wouln't even know where to start so my hat is off to you.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I called the Prosoco rep 3 times and he has not returned my call - I should have changed the material after he did not return the first call.

I think the project will make a ton of cash - 30% profit. I found out the other day that my painting price is lower than at least two other companies bidding it. this project can be awarded to 3 different contractors. I am looking to get all 3. I'll let you guys know what happens.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Use EaCo Chems product called SafeRestore. (soon to be changed to OneRestore. It's the same great product, just a new package and name) It outperforms ProSoCo's restoration cleaners hands down. It's safe on the glass and wont hurt the anodized aluminum. It is widely used in the window restoration industry to remove hard water stains, mineral deposits, and silicone adhesive stains off of the glass. It was used on the Biosphere in Arizona. (the worlds largest glass structure)

And as far as the environment goes... the EPA in my area said it is the only product they want on their buildings when they restore 5 of their buildings next year.

And for performance... a contractor friend of mine did a restoration project right beside another restoration project. He was using EaCo Chem and the other guy was using ProSoCo, when they finished the job, the project managers asked my friend to re-clean the entire building because his looked so much better than the other one. It wasn't a little job either. It was a stadium.

It is a brushless cleaner that is applied from the top down that is safe for most surfaces and does an amazing job. Many of the brick manufacturers recommend it for their restoration projects. I am having it used on about a 80 and a 53+ story building in Charlotte NC this year. You can clean the glass and the curtain walls all at the same time with this product. It is in my opinion, the best chemical in the restoration industry.

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
Use EaCo Chems product called SafeRestore. (soon to be changed to OneRestore. It's the same great product, just a new package and name) It outperforms ProSoCo's restoration cleaners hands down. It's safe on the glass and wont hurt the anodized aluminum. It is widely used in the window restoration industry to remove hard water stains, mineral deposits, and silicone adhesive stains off of the glass. It was used on the Biosphere in Arizona. (the worlds largest glass structure)

And as far as the environment goes... the EPA in my area said it is the only product they want on their buildings when they restore 5 of their buildings next year.

And for performance... a contractor friend of mine did a restoration project right beside another restoration project. He was using EaCo Chem and the other guy was using ProSoCo, when they finished the job, the project managers asked my friend to re-clean the entire building because his looked so much better than the other one. It wasn't a little job either. It was a stadium.

It is a brushless cleaner that is applied from the top down that is safe for most surfaces and does an amazing job. Many of the brick manufacturers recommend it for their restoration projects. I am having it used on a 80+ and a 53+ story building in Charlotte NC this year. You can clean the glass and the curtain walls all at the same time with this product. It is in my opinion, the best chemical in the restoration industry.
Wow Tom, that post was great! I've never seen so much hyperbola in a non-spam post in my life.

You should seriously consider cruising the web, and repairing all the mis-information about Charlotte. From what I have learned, the tallest building in NC is 60 storeys high, and the second tallest is 47 storeys. Maybe you are just in a different Charlotte NC, in a different parallel universe.

Thanks for visiting, and stay away from Romulians

·
Registered
85 Posts
In response to the Star Trek junkie,

Thank you for pointing out that Charlotte does not have an 80 story building. Seeing as I am not one who wishes to mislead or give misinformation, I contacted the contractor who I am working with about the job and he told me that it is not 80 stories. Thank you for noticing that. He said that the tallest building in Charlotte is the Bank of America Building at about 64+- stories tall.

However, they are working on building several more highrises in Charlotte. The 50+ story building I mentioned is still under construction, and they have not begun the cleaning on it yet. It is currently behind schedule on completion because they had temporarily stopped construction earlier this year.

I live about 45 minutes from Charlotte NC, but I cover about 10-12 states for work, and I get called out to look at and work on jobs for consulting all the time. I didn't realize a typo on an internet forum would bother you so much. I hope you recover.

Sincerely,
Tom

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
In response to the Star Trek junkie,

Thank you for pointing out that Charlotte does not have an 80 story building. Seeing as I am not one who wishes to mislead or give misinformation, I contacted the contractor who I am working with about the job and he told me that it is not 80 stories. Thank you for noticing that. He said that the tallest building in Charlotte is the Bank of America Building at about 64+- stories tall.

However, they are working on building several more highrises in Charlotte. The 50+ story building I mentioned is still under construction, and they have not begun the cleaning on it yet. It is currently behind schedule on completion because they had temporarily stopped construction earlier this year.

I live about 45 minutes from Charlotte NC, but I cover about 10-12 states for work, and I get called out to look at and work on jobs for consulting all the time. I didn't realize a typo on an internet forum would bother you so much. I hope you recover.

Sincerely,
Tom
Tom,

I'm sorry that I angered you, calling out those misstatements on your part. It's just that you fill your posts with so much hyperbole about EaCo Chem, it becomes a question of whether you are hawking your wares on this site like a tout. And some of your claims stretch credibility, a whole stadium? Why didn't they have the original contractor do it properly? And I think whoever at the EPA told you that, broke rules for a governmental employee.

I would be very surprised if you are anything other than a sales rep for EacoChem. Viewing the gushing terms you have described it in a good number of your posts, it seems likely you are subverting the intent of this site.

On another point; a typo is something like "teh" instead of "the". Stating that a building is 80 storeys tall when it is actually 64 is an error, and in the case of you, a violation of truth in advertising

·
Registered
469 Posts
In your profile you claim to be a construction superentendent, in an above post, you claim to be a pressure washer. If you were a pressure washer, you would know there are PW boards available. There are people who might know of what you are asking.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I'm not mad. I just think it is childish to argue like this on an internet forum. That's why I'm not going to post anymore in response to you. I have been an independant contractor for a number of years, and have tried all different types of chemicals. Read some of my other posts and you will see I have said good things about other brands as well. Including Extreme Solutions for wood care products. I have talked about using sanders on wood, they are not all about EaCo Chem.

As far as the stadium job goes, they ended up not going through with it because the other guy had sealed it and it would have doubled the price, because of stripping it all off and then restoring it. But they did say that from now on they are going to use him as their only contractor without asking for other bids. He has cleaned a lot of other jobs for that campus with no questions asked because of the job he did.

I cant help if someone else broke the rules as a goverment employee. All I know is that is what they said, and as of this year all 5 of their buildings in one area are being cleaned with OneRestore.

And as far as advertising goes, I'm not advertising. So that doesn't apply to me. I was simply trying to help him come up with an easier and more economical process for cleaning. He also mentioned not wanting to hurt the glass or the anodized surfaces. That's why I said that. And as far as all the other things I said, I wrote that simply to let him know that I wasn't telling him to go use some homemade recipe somebody was cooking in their garage.

For years we drove a 4 hour round trip to pick up EaCo Chem products to do our jobs because there wasn't a local distributor, instead of 15 minutes to pick up ProSoCo, because I was convinced it worked that much better. I'm not trying to sell anything. I'm not making money typing these posts. I'm doing it to try an help contractors.

The End

·
www.Scottwash.com
34 Posts
I am having a little trouble figuring on how to clean the concrete panels on a 18 story building.

the spec is calling for Prosoco EnviroKlean SafRestorer. this is an acid based cleaner that requires the substrate to be wet before it is applied. it is also saying that it should be rinsed with equipment generating 400-1000psi with a water flow rate of 6-8 gallons per minut. hear may increase productivity

I plan on using a 49' swing stage - the areas are blocked out at 52' wide.

my questions are:

1. i am not going to be able to keep the bottom of the wall wet. by the time i wash up to the 18th floor I am sure the bottom will be dry. how can i keep it wet and do i really have to?
  2. the material data pages state it is safe for most glass, architectural metals and painted surfaces. I am not worried about the painted surfaces - we are painting them anyway. but the glass and anodized aluminum window frames are a concern. think i have to protect them?
  3. Do you think this product will kill all the landscaping after it runs off into the flower beds and lawn?
this is a large project and I have a very good shot at it. I just dont want to get burned and loose money and at the same time I dont want to bid myself out of the project.

any thoughts about the lagistics of washing he concrete would be appriciated.

here is a pic. so you can see the building.
I would rise with a 135 boom lift (unless there is a parking garge under neath) with a 8 or 10 gal pw
if that is acid you want to netrulize it thru down stream on the pw
and dont let the dry on the windows. You will have to 3 step the wash.
I have done this before and it comes out great.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts