Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a full size job box in my truck for the last three years as my only tool box, I got fed up today and bought two side boxes and a slim rear box so I could get almost everything out without climbing into the bed.

I could not believe the stuff I had crammed into that job box, tools I haven't used in a few years just riding along with me.

Managed to make one side box dedicated to concrete stuff, the slim box for carpentry and fasteners and the other side for my most used masonry tools.

Managed to eliminate 2 buckets and a milk crate full of stuff for storage. I need to get better at taking only the essentials on board and keeping dedicated buckets like I do with my tile and EIFS stuff for a job to job basis.

I bet my truck lost 400 lbs today. Tomorrows project is the dash board and cab, I dread what I am going to find in there.

I think the next step is going to be getting a small enclosed job trailer, not sure how I can wheel that into the yard without my wife seeing it though.

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
You aren't alone---I changed trucks 6 months ago---pulled out two garbage cans full of tools and fasteners and other metal crap that had no real worldly use---

Yesterday my assistant retired his rolling tool box and loaded up a new one---he had half a bucket full of old saw blades, and junk drill bits and over 5 pounds of screws---

·
Love me some Concrete
1,834 Posts
I have this irrational fear of needing every single tool every day.

I swear if I need a notched trowel for some random reason next week and it's not in my new clean tool boxes I am gonna be pissed.
I had that happen on a few jobs, got pissed trying to remember everything while loading in the morning and thats why I went with HUGE trailer! I hate leaving a tool I needed behind! Hate it!

But the big ass trailer comes at a price too......

Saw a 10 year old pop delivery truck on CL tonight, 4 individual roll up steel doors on each side. Could build some wicked ass cabinets on the sides, put little awnings on each side for rain days but damn thieves would probably visit it while I was inside working. How cool would it be to just roll up a couple doors on a side and just work right out of it! Materials would have to be delivered though. It was in great shape, decent priced.....hmmmmmmmm.

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
HA! Im the exact same way. I have so many different tools crammed behind my seat, in the glove box, and the driver and passenger door pockets, its insane. Yet, I know where every tool, air hose fitting, extra screw, bit, etc etc is in that truck, but others would only see a mess.

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
HA! Im the exact same way. I have so many different tools crammed behind my seat, in the glove box, and the driver and passenger door pockets, its insane. Yet, I know where every tool, air hose fitting, extra screw, bit, etc etc is in that truck, but others would only see a mess.
I think it's prevalent among masons to squirrel tools into the weirdest spots.

I had a guy laugh at me a few weeks ago, I said "Grab some caution tape....It's on the passenger side of the box, under the milk crate with finish trowels in it....you will have to move the circular saw out of the way to see it."

·
Smarter than the brick...
298 Posts
Yup, I had a crescent wrench that was rusted stuck at the perfect size for removing the bolt on the tongue from my mixer...it's sposed to go in the rear drivers side door pocket...someone failed to return it to its resting spot and lost the dang thing I found out Thursday while I was in a hurry to get moved....had that thing for at least 15 years....

·
Registered
8,133 Posts
AAHHHHHHHH, you can't clean out the truck. You WILL need that notched trowel when your laying some brick next week. I don't know how on earth it's possible but you will. Never ever clean out the truck unless you're working close to home for the next couple weeks

·
Vendor
6,346 Posts
I have gone to canvas tool bags. I have one for each thing: electrical, plumbing, carpentry, etc. Each has all the little chit you may need, and a lot is duplicated between bags (like 3-ways for cords, small crescents, carp pencils, screwdrivers, speed squares, etc), but I know if I grab that bag, I have all the little crap you forget to do that part of the job. I do not keep tools in the truck, obviously, since I am not a contractor, other than a full set of mechanic tools to work on the truck. The hand tools are all in hard cases (which also contain the stuff needed for them), so it is a matter of grabbing what I need.

On the other hand, the actual tools of my trade ARE scattered into every available compartment: Line blocks, pins, and twigs in the compartment behind the passenger seat, notepads, cards, and hats behind the driver side. The glovebox has my tape and a rule, handcleaner, flashlight and pens. Blue shop towels and stucco tape in the center behind the console, and straps in the bungholes of the bedliner.

·
Registered
908 Posts
I had a full size job box in my truck for the last three years as my only tool box, I got fed up today and bought two side boxes and a slim rear box so I could get almost everything out without climbing into the bed.

I could not believe the stuff I had crammed into that job box, tools I haven't used in a few years just riding along with me.

Managed to make one side box dedicated to concrete stuff, the slim box for carpentry and fasteners and the other side for my most used masonry tools.

Managed to eliminate 2 buckets and a milk crate full of stuff for storage. I need to get better at taking only the essentials on board and keeping dedicated buckets like I do with my tile and EIFS stuff for a job to job basis.

I bet my truck lost 400 lbs today. Tomorrows project is the dash board and cab, I dread what I am going to find in there.

I think the next step is going to be getting a small enclosed job trailer, not sure how I can wheel that into the yard without my wife seeing it though.

Did you happen to find the ever elusive block stretcher??? I swear my Dad told me it was somewhere behind the seat 25 years ago, but I'll be darned if I have found it yet................

1 - 16 of 16 Posts