Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We never go over existing, perhaps once or twice per year.
This particular customer has aluminum siding with original wood shakes under. He wants us to remove aluminum and go over shakes. Fine.
What clause do you guys use in the event that upon removing the aluminum, there are rotted shakes or clapboard.
When we remove shakes of clapboard, i obviously charge $75-85 per each new piece of 1/2" plywood.
How do you handle new shakes, by piece? Do you just replace with some foam board or plywood?

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
Your foam should handle it especially if its rigid. Anything more than that and its typically all gotta go. You can usually tell based on how well the aluminum siding job was done and how well its currently still attached.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How do you word that in a clause in order to protect yourself from installing a bunch of foam board for free?

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
power said:
How do you word that in a clause in order to protect yourself from installing a bunch of foam board for free?
We are installing foam anyways since its a side over. 1/2" rigid foam will span most anything small shimming is done with scrap anyways

·
Registered
Butcher of wood and metal
7,007 Posts
We pretty much use fanfold on all of our job , tear off or not. Even with the old siding on it does a good job of giving you a flat surface to put new siding on.

·
Sophisticated Siding Guy.
528 Posts
I would add it just like I add my sheathing unit cost...

• To replace any unforeseen deteriorated sheathing the cost will be $70.00 per sheet. All areas of replacement will be agreed upon with a customer.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts