Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Livin the dream...
6,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to buy a pair of circular saws that will be dedicated to trim work. One right tilt and one left.

Anyone have a recommendation on a saw that works well for miters on skirtboards?

·
Always Learning
8,653 Posts
I assume you are doing this for the front riser miter? Track saw. You can plunge cut and use a stop so you don't over cut and get perfect accuracy.

·
Focusing on solutions.
Hardwood floors/custom cabinets
5,689 Posts
I assume you are doing this for the front riser miter? Track saw. You can plunge cut and use a stop so you don't over cut and get perfect accuracy.
I've not had a stair job since I bought my track saw, but that's one project I'm looking forward to using it on.:thumbsup:

·
Always Learning
8,653 Posts
pinwheel said:
I've not had a stair job since I bought my track saw, but that's one project I'm looking forward to using it on.:thumbsup:
We just did a basic stair with simple pre finished skirt boards and it was fantastic! I can't imagine going back to a cutting guide or trying to make the long angle cuts on my miter saw. I am keeping my eye out for a shorter track, a 32"-42" would have been nicer than using my 55".

·
Focusing on solutions.
5,689 Posts
We just did a basic stair with simple pre finished skirt boards and it was fantastic! I can't imagine going back to a cutting guide or trying to make the long angle cuts on my miter saw. I am keeping my eye out for a shorter track, a 32"-42" would have been nicer than using my 55".
I've been looking for an excuse to cut one of my tracks down to cut floors in doorways. That would probably be reason enough.:whistling

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
I just did this one over my winter break from school with the ts55r. I wouldn't have had enough time to finish this project with all the others without that specific tool.

Attachments

·
Registered
103 Posts
cutting stringers shop built stairs mitered

I built custom wood stairs both circular and straight for 13 years and only ever used a skilsaw or a porter cable sidewinder for the other miter tilt. I got to the point where I could cut a perfect miter for the riser/stringer on the stringers without paying real attention. Most circle stairs or flairs require over a 45 so made custom wood shoes. I can't imagine using a festool or any other track saw. line it up and cut. Keep your left hand on the left front of the base for a guide

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
I built custom wood stairs both circular and straight for 13 years and only ever used a skilsaw or a porter cable sidewinder for the other miter tilt. I got to the point where I could cut a perfect miter for the riser/stringer on the stringers without paying real attention. Most circle stairs or flairs require over a 45 so made custom wood shoes. I can't imagine using a festool or any other track saw. line it up and cut. Keep your left hand on the left front of the base for a guide
I agree with you about the risers to skirt. I used a japanese saw for any beyond the 55* that my makita lxt saw cuts to. The festool for the treads was very nice.

·
Registered
732 Posts
Track saw is the best for this. Cut my Azek skirts for my exterior stairs and they are perfect miters. I Cut a 59" track in half and use it for all sorts of things.

·
Livin the dream...
6,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So you use the ts55 for the miter in both directions? I had never thought of that...

I do have one, so if I can make that work I'll forget about getting two circular saw with opposite tilt.

·
Livin the dream...
6,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
That is all I ever thought of using. Never occurred to me to use a track saw for that.

·
Always Learning
8,653 Posts
So you use the ts55 for the miter in both directions? I had never thought of that...

I do have one, so if I can make that work I'll forget about getting two circular saw with opposite tilt.
One bevel you will cut into the wood, the opposite bevel you will plunge and cut out of the wood...hope that makes sense. You still will have the corner to clean up with a sharp chisel or Japanese saw.

·
Focusing on solutions.
5,689 Posts
One bevel you will cut into the wood, the opposite bevel you will plunge and cut out of the wood...hope that makes sense. You still will have the corner to clean up with a sharp chisel or Japanese saw.

The last several sets of mitered skirts I done, I done exactly like that with a shop made jig & my regular skillsaw. The tracksaw will be easier, as I've got a set of squeeze clamps for the rails.

·
Always Learning
8,653 Posts
The track saw just makes tasks like this easier and more precise. Today I was using it to cut long small tapers on our cabinet install to make sure everything was nice and tight along walls and floors. So much nicer than a belt sander or power planer. Also for these quick cuts I started using a miter saw dust bag instead of using the vac. Works real well!

·
Livin the dream...
6,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The track saw just makes tasks like this easier and more precise. Today I was using it to cut long small tapers on our cabinet install to make sure everything was nice and tight along walls and floors. So much nicer than a belt sander or power planer. Also for these quick cuts I started using a miter saw dust bag instead of using the vac. Works real well!
Finally a use for the miter saw dust bags. They are worthless on a miter saw. :thumbup:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts