Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
14,078 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody have any good experiences or thoughts on marketing to members of churches? Do you think you can market well at multiple churches or are you better off just picking one or doing your own church and getting know as the guy who does (whatever you do) through word of mouth or some advertising, donations or sponsorship of events?

·
Back from the dead...
6,646 Posts
People may laugh at this one, but I've had great success in advertising in the biggest gay/lesbian newsletter in StL. I reckon they think I'm 'life style' friendly since I advertise there, and i treat them with respect. Get a ton of work. Plus remember, 2 guys, 2 incomes.

Also had some success with the Jewish newsletter too.

These two groups take alot of abuse, if you act like you are all on the same level, and don't look/talk down to them, its a sure thing to make a sale.

My 2 cents.

Hey, quit laughing, it really works! :cool:

·
Banned
14,078 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Great advice. I would have to agree; lesbian couples were some of my easiest and most lucrative sales. My observations were that in a lesbian couple one of them was more feminine and the other was more masculine. All you had to do was talk to the feminine one about the sizzle and talk to the masculine one about the steak. The masculine one was always in the position of making the purchase to make the feminine one happy, and the happier and more excited you got the feminine one the less and less chance their was that the masculine one could let her down. Price was rarely a consideration; it was all about getting exactly the features she wanted and making the feminine one happy.

I'm glad you brought that up, like a lot of metropolitan areas we have the gay wave, or the rainbow rally washing over select fringe neighborhoods. Gay couples are purchasing homes in the same parts of town that were once really run down neighborhoods, they are pouring tons of money into their properties, renovating and causing the real estate prices to sky rocket. The older residents are upset because of their lifestyles and more so because their property taxes are sky rocketing because of the urban renewal going on.

Marketing to these couples is a great idea, I had forgot all about that lucrative market segment. Best of all word of mouth travels fast in the gay community, so once you get known for your work they start doing your advertising for you.

How did you find working for members of the Jewish community? I have always found that they have lots of money, but they really demand alot from you, and always seem to think that no matter how good of a deal they got that you were screwing them. A common thread seemed to be that in their minds they weren't sure how you had screwed them, but they knew you had, it was just a matter for them to figure out how you did.

·
Flooring Guru
2,794 Posts
Selling flooring to Gay guys is fun! They know a ton about design and have alot of fun with it...more fun than a ton of straight clients I have...And when they are having fun, then the sale is made.....

·
Custom Builder
4,406 Posts
I still can't stop laughing at 'life style' friendly. LOL

Had 2 *****'s once. But it wasn't job related........or maybe kinda.....in a way..... either way I 'closed the deal.

Bob

·
Registered
8,573 Posts
I've been kickign this around in my head. My business plan includes church marketing. Do I market in my church, and since I don't go to church does that mean I have to start? Can I market in multiple churches?

I think if you already go to church market in your church. Become a social person in your cmmunity and don't spread yourself too thin. If you don't go to church you might as well just target ALL the churches in your target area.

ProWall I don't laugh because I know a guy who pulled his company out of the trash can by going into the gay lesbian chamber of commerce. Think about it like this... two gay guys living together each making 75k a year and nothing to spend it on except their houses. Plus I really really think he is half in the closet anyways.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts