Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
New and Remodel Carpentry
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone had luck with posting a ad in a church bulletin that is printed week after week. Looking to expand my advertising and looking into it. Its not very expensive and seems like people would look towards those that are part of the church community for work that they want done. What are your good or bad experiences with it? (ie. wanting more for nothing, to many wanting discounts, or the good like consistent work and referrals)

Thanks in advance for your advice, just a small contracting company looking for ideas

·
Registered
74 Posts
For me, not so good. There seems to be an expectation that I should be cheaper than everyone else. I prefer to keep friends (and family) separate from business. But I also have a "good neighbor" policy - sometimes I will take on a project that just needs to be done, pay for it myself. Everyone appreciates it, no complaints, and it adds to my cred.
Free, not cheap. But I don't advertise it (except here).

·
Non-conformist
1,581 Posts
There seems to be an expectation that I should be cheaper than everyone else.
Sad but true. You may very well find exceptions because they definitely exist, but as a general rule I think it invites trouble. You will probably do much better with a targeted mailing and get much quicker results. Display ads are primarily for exposure more than for direct response.

·
Project Manager
2,642 Posts
I'd stay away. If budget is limited, I would be more likely to suggest a local newspaper than a church bulletin. I advertised in two different ones for a year, every call I got were tire kickers or those who wanted a discount (for what???).

Ideally, put the money towards a well crafted website, or jobsite and truck lettering (if you have not done so already).

Join your local chamber of commerce - more leads there than through a church bulletin.

·
Proprietor
1,847 Posts
Most of the people at my church already know what I do. So it's mostly word of mouth and referrals there.
If you are wanting to do ANY kind of print advertising you need to do it on a massive scale. Print advertising is more effective when used as branding than marketing. If you place an ad here and there it probably won't do much for you. But if your company is displayed on the church bulletin, on the paper underneath the breakfast plate at the local diner, in the trade magazines, and you're sending a series of postcard mailers; now you're accomplishing an exposed print campaign. When you're doing any kind of printing you want to spread your coverage, not just in certain areas.

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
Your church bulletin has advertisements in it?? :blink:
I dont know, soliciting work at church sounds kinda cheesy to me. Not trying to climb on my high horse, but that just doesn't sound like the place or the time.

There are unlimited places to get a plug in for your business if you use your imagination.

One of my favorite tricks for free advertisement is to call Realtors that have tracks of land for sell and tell them I just want to throw my hat in the ring if they sell a lot and the clients need a contractor. Also if they get a house that needs some reno work. Most already have their own people that they use but I have gotten some work from a cold call.

·
Smart phone? Scan me!
2,137 Posts
I'd stay away. If budget is limited, I would be more likely to suggest a local newspaper than a church bulletin. I advertised in two different ones for a year, every call I got were tire kickers or those who wanted a discount (for what???).

Ideally, put the money towards a well crafted website, or jobsite and truck lettering (if you have not done so already).

Join your local chamber of commerce - more leads there than through a church bulletin.
I had joined my chamber before. Was there a couple of years and was getting hammered by them for cheap work. THE HEAD of the chamber came to me, asked me for a quote, and then said... well so and so can do it cheaper.. I checked and they were not even a chamber member. They try to say they only do business w/ chamber members.. guess not, and coming from the head of the chamber it was the biggest joke ever. I quit the chamber because they were just a self promoting joke.

·
Non-conformist
1,581 Posts
I quit the chamber because they were just a self promoting joke.
In my travels across the Internet, which I do a lot of because I'm a web guy who makes a living doing web sites and marketing, I've read this type of comment A LOT. It seems to be a rampant problem.

On the good news side, the reviews of Business Networking International (BNI) have been almost all positive. If you have a local chapter in your area, it may be worth looking into. Plus, business people are generally less inclined to shop cheap because they understand the costs of being in business (not true in every case, but I've observed it to be true in general).

·
Registered
49 Posts
You need to treat it just like any other advertising you are thinking about. You need to look at the cost, the type of potential customer it represents, what you want to achieve (leads, jobs, something to do on Sat to pay for groceries), is it your church or something else. and what you are selling.

We used to advertise in the Catholic church bulletin locally and it was a good vehicle for us. We also have use the newsletters for local neighborhood groups and found them to be ok if we were somehow connected to the neighborhood.

I am not sure that I would put much faith in the answers you get here or anywhere else as everyone's situation is different. Its not that they will steer you wrong but the advise may not apply to your situation

It is no different than any other type of advertising, know what you are doing, what you want to achieve, track every lead you get and watch you ROI

Other than that advertising is simple

·
New and Remodel Carpentry
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for all the comments. Here is the deal. As alot of churches these days are being combined, I am a member of this church so its not just some random paper. But on the other hand i dont know everyone there, so thats why id like to get my name out there so people see it. It is in the market of the people i target as far as neighborhood, market value, and the type of work i do, which is remodeling for the most part.

These bulletins are published weekly for mass and the advertisements pay for the printing which in turn gives you the advertisement space

·
Non-conformist
1,581 Posts
The last couple posts shed an entirely different light on this subject. When you said "church bulletin" I was thinking of Protestant churches. Your mention of "mass" and dhall's experience with Catholic churches changes things quite a bit. I'm a Protestant myself, but the attitude of my fellow Protestants in areas like this is often embarrassing. The statements made above are sadly accurate when considering Protestant churches. My experience with Catholics is very different and I think your results will be much better advertising in a Catholic bulletin.

I've often wondered why most Protestants are so "cheap" in many regards, but I think they could learn a lot from the Catholics. That's been my experience anyway, so I thought it would be a good idea to mention it since I believe this new information makes a significant difference.

·
semi-skilled laborer
2,075 Posts
I bid a few jobs for people in my wifes church, I even gave them a break on price, but they still wanted it lower. Even the church itself had me give them a quote on painting a few things, but it never happened. I guess if they had paid me my asking price then the preacher couldnt have afforded the heated glove box in his Jaguar, and that just wouldnt have been right, he deserves those things, he works one day a week.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I use the our church bullitan and it works well for me the church has about 1500 members, I also have an add in a township calender that does very well for me. The township calander works well because people hold onto it for other coupons and town info. I do a lot of service call related work so I included a photo of myself the year I added photo noticed a huge jump in calls from that particular add, I think its because they see whos going to show up on there doorstep. I think the combination of the two also pretty well nails away at my location of were I want to work many jobs I'm within 30mins

1 - 20 of 32 Posts