Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Talking Head
5,388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any advice? I had a concrete crew cut out a opening for a French door in a walk out basement but they weren't able to break it and take it that day. A second trip for that will be spendy. If I can get it into smaller pieces my landscaper will haul it out when he's there.

·
Registered
4,732 Posts
Is it still standing in the hole or laying down?

·
Capra Aegagrus
Remodeler
24,965 Posts
Someday I'm going to try that Dexpan.

But yeah, as long as it's laying loose on the ground, especially with a few hollow spots underneath, jackhammer it. My skinny kid did this in about an hour a couple of years ago--and that was well bedded.

Attachments

·
Registered
Remodel
29,663 Posts
Next time flop in onto timbers or something - it'll go really fast. Once it's down on the ground you might as well do it where it is.

·
Talking Head
5,388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Jackhammer rentals are cheap.
Physical therapy is expensive.:thumbup:

I'm not planning on doing any of this. I have a b--(whups, I meant helper) that does all this kind of thing for me. I just troweled two coats of Planipatch over 1100 square feet so it's his turn to do something painful.

I wasn't sure if a jackhammer would do a good job of breaking up a 10" wall with rebar in a reasonable amount of time. If I ended up spending the same amount of money to do it in-house as I would to sub it then I'd be pissed.

It is landed on a couple sticks. I'm going to call HD and see how fast they can get me the Dexpan, that stuff looks like a blast! Anyone know how much I'd need to take apart a 6x8x10" slab?

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
Concrete is a funny thing, you can have a 10" slab the breaks apart like shortbread or you can have one that's hard as iron.

·
Super Moderator
24,739 Posts
Reading back on this whole thread.....

It would have been WAY cheaper & QUICKER to have the saw guys remove the cutout.....

Should have been included in the bid....

Classic case of tripping over $10 bills to save a nickel...:laughing:

1 - 20 of 54 Posts