Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering what type of media you would use to blast chrome off of some truck rims? :sad: a buddy of mine wants them down bare so he can paint them...

thx

·
Registered
558 Posts
Done some a week ago used some copper slag left a realy deep profile though

·
Todd
848 Posts
your shouldnt worry about getting all of the plating off...there is nickel under the chrome and it is tuff just use a mild to medium abrasive like starblast or crushed glass and etch the surface and paint them...no need to remove the rest off

·
Know your Role
64 Posts
If your wandering what works, the answer is nothing. It is purely a waste of time to try and blast the chrome off. Simply have them acid dipped, you will thank yourself.

·
Registered
193 Posts
What I've done in the past is use crushed glass to remove what is flaking and profile the rest. The painter then has to feather the edges and just paint over.

·
Banned
574 Posts
panderson2414

Some chrome that is flaking comes off easy. i have found the coats that come off harder will leave a surface that almost looks like a wave on the original metal. If the owner wants to redo an original, than the metal lost on the surface is no longer an issue. Most car guys want to save money by blasting or re-doing bumpers or rims.The guys that want original or perfect can also afford it. Do your best. "OR" F the rest

1 - 7 of 7 Posts