Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Banned
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im here peeling potatoes ... and was wondering how many people send Christmas Cards to their customers.

Think Im going to do it this year. I have a lot of work sitting on the fence, maybe a card will get people thinking of me...

Im a little guy, wondering if I should send cards that have a business tone to them or to make it more family to family, include a pic. of us and the family dog... hmmmm... Obviously I have to consider that not everyone belongs to the same set of beliefs.

What do the rest of you guys do during the holidays, business wise.

<gulp> Suppliers, Subs, Employees..... <k, my inner scrooge is coming out>

·
Trailer park boy
4,802 Posts
I sent cards to all my customers last year, as well as people who I did estimates for but didn't get the job.

Ordered them from vista print, got my logo in there and a happy holidays type greeting.

This year I think I will get my wife to write in them, I did it last year but my handwriting is nasty.

·
Registered
529 Posts
If you are going to be sending cards to your customers you might as well make it really easy.

Check out SendOutCards the service is the absolute BEST for this type of stuff... you can customize the cards with your own logos, pictures, even handwritting.

Point and click, they will print and ship the cards! I've been using it for the last 4 years. It will save you time and money.

Carl

Reactions: shanekw1

·
Registered
Design/Build Remodeling
6,590 Posts
We send a card to every past customer. We send a bottle of wine to our top dozen customers and a $500 gift card to Allen Brothers to our top customers (note referrals to other customers count towards becoming a top customer). We have a past customer that did no work this year - but referred us to a $102k project, a $71k project and a $39k project. They get Allen Brothers. :thumbsup:

I think we'll send out 3 Allen Brothers certs this year. In 2006 we sent out 7!

Make it appropiate to your customer base! Make it hand written and personal (Merry Christmas to those your certain of - Happy Hollidays to those your not certain).

Also make it appropriate in cost. If you do million dollar projects - send them to the Bahamas. If you do $10k projects, send them to Chili's!

One more thing - get them out now. Ours go out Monday! Be first - not with the crowd.

Market, Market and market some more! :thumbsup:

·
Super Moderator
11,969 Posts
We send a card to every past customer. We send a bottle of wine to our top dozen customers and a $500 gift card to Allen Brothers to our top customers (note referrals to other customers count towards becoming a top customer). We have a past customer that did no work this year - but referred us to a $102k project, a $71k project and a $39k project. They get Allen Brothers. :thumbsup:

I think we'll send out 3 Allen Brothers certs this year. In 2006 we sent out 7!

Make it appropiate to your customer base! Make it hand written and personal (Merry Christmas to those your certain of - Happy Hollidays to those your not certain).

Also make it appropriate in cost. If you do million dollar projects - send them to the Bahamas. If you do $10k projects, send them to Chili's!

One more thing - get them out now. Ours go out Monday! Be first - not with the crowd.

Market, Market and market some more! :thumbsup:
OMG Davinci-I think you should open up a remodeler sales school.

Everything you say totally intrigues me. I am in the high end kitchen business, but you are in the ULTRA-ULTRA-ULTRA high end market.
:notworthy
How did you get there?

·
Average Joe
1,209 Posts
I haven't done Christmas cards in the past but I like the idea.

Keep it neutral, really simple. No family/dog pics but don't mention anything related to business. It should just be an earnest holiday greeting :thumbsup:

·
Registered
Design/Build Remodeling
6,590 Posts
OMG Davinci-I think you should open up a remodeler sales school.

Everything you say totally intrigues me. I am in the high end kitchen business, but you are in the ULTRA-ULTRA-ULTRA high end market.
:notworthy
How did you get there?
Get your check book out. :laughing: I can consult for a price.

We are ULTRA-ULTRA-ULTRA high end - but we do our share of Ho-hum Projects. I do believe there is an ULTRA-ULTRA-ULTRA-ULTRA (that's one more ULTRA) market that I have not yet tapped. I'm afrter it. :thumbsup:

I started this way - I do not like to do the ho-hum. I have stayed the course.

I am still a believer in doing 1 project for $1 mil rather than a million projects for $1. (My preferance is 2 - $750k projects - all my eggs in two baskets)! :whistling

I do realize that not every biz is like mine - and I'll work on some marketing methods for all (different) sizes. When I can do this I'll open a sales school.

Right now I only know one way - Less work, more money, more golf!

Happy Thanksgiving to all - remember our troops!

What does OMG mean?

·
Steve
317 Posts
I send out cards every year, this Thanksgiving I have been giving out Boneless Turkey Breasts that I smoked to my larger project clients. Breasts are $12 ea @ Sams or Costco. I did this last year also. My smoker lets me do 8 at a time. I vacuum seal each one. What a hit! Families gather around the table, talks about how great the smoked turkey is only to learn the guy who does repairs/remodeling is the supplier of the bird. Let the phone ringing begin:thumbup:

·
Registered
498 Posts
I sent cards out previously but I think last year I skipped it. I probably will not send this year either. I will send my newsletter out as usual but instead of an informative one it will be more along the line of thanks. That is sent out by email. Out of 137 that I send out each month and have sent out since March, only one wanted me to drop them from this list. I get good comments on it.

Most of the cards I get I throw away. And not to talk bad about anyone in particular, I would leave out the family part including pictures, etc. If you want to send a card, sign it personally with a simple note and send it on. That one I might save and place on the wall or mantel. Preprinted ones with nothing else typically go.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Now cards with little gift cards to local restaurants really stick with me.:clap:

·
Registered
529 Posts
Sorry but, it needs to be mentioned again.

Check out SendOutCards if you plan on sending out any kind of cards to your customers.

1. You can use your own card design
2. You can add your own pictures.
3. You can use your own handwritting (pretty cool)
4. You can send out giftcards with the cards & small gifts.

The hardest part would be entering your contacts into the contact manager but if you keep them in an excel file or something they are easy to import.

Once you've got ALL your contacts loaded you can create your card and message. Hit the SEND button and that card will be printed, and mailed to everyone on your list, it will personalize the cards with their Names etc...

Costs about $1.50 per card including postage.

I am telling you, if you're a business owner that likes to keep in touch in with your customers in a unique way that this system is the cats ass.

Quality is right up there with Hallmark and Carlton cards...

Carl

1 - 17 of 17 Posts