Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Full Service Renovations
1,318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those of you with small companies like mine (3 guys) what are you doing, if anything, for christmas bonuses. I have not done anything in the past but would like to start a tradition this year. Cash is the easy thing but I would like to hear some other ideas for what employees have gotten and appreciated.

Cheers and Happy Holidays

·
KemoSabe
14,233 Posts
When I had employees, they got 100 bucks for every year they were with me, up to five years. Only one guy made it that far.:clap:

·
KemoSabe
14,233 Posts
I did a lot of bonuses on the books last year. I didn't realize that this was considered payroll to my Comp. carrier. I'm paying for that mistake this year....
Didn't you have to make payroll deductions as well? Or did you carry that nut too? Maybe you don't have the state unemployment, family leave act, state disability???

·
Preserving the Past
3,571 Posts
Not to bad by itself, but all in all I was under my estimated payroll by about 40k and had to kick in 12% of that to catch up.

Every single dollar you give your employee's on the books; bonuses and/or overtime pay goes towards total salary at the end of the year unless it is expense reimbursements.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Cash is king. That is why they work right? When offered a christmas party as a bonus I felt cheated. Don't buy me an overpriced meal, just put the money in my hands so I can make my kids christmas better. Some employers cash bonus was a joke, $15 at a very large company. But the small time operations always took care of me, a weeks pay was the norm.

·
Thom
4,137 Posts
I'd give a gift certificate for tools.

The check for the certificate is made out to a tool store, not an employee. No comp, no taxes, etc.

The tools have value to the employee, most of them want to build their tool collection. The tools have value to the employer, thus you are legit with the irs.

·
Super Moderator
10,707 Posts
I always give a cash bonus based on seniority as well as a girt card to either Home Depot or Lowes, with the understanding that they are to update their tools with it.

·
Chief outhouse engineer
1,418 Posts
Congrat's you still have a job, Merry Christmas.:thumbsup::thumbsup:

·
Registered
107 Posts
i offerd my dudes mickey mouse boots or cash.they took the cash

1 - 20 of 40 Posts