Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I'm new to the site, so much information! Anyway I have a question about miter saws. I currently run a 12" hitachi slider. I'm due for a new saw and I am trying to decide what to get. I will use it primarily for crown and other trim. As well as flooring and siding applications. Don't think I need a slider, blade wanders to much and I hardly ever need to cut anything wider than 6". I would like dual bevel though. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the info! I have never had a saw that was as inaccurate as hitachi slider. Especially on bevels. Sick of f&@king around trying to get nice miters. I'm going to pick up something new soon. I think I will get the dw716. Seems like a solid saw. What kind of stands are people using. I'm getting sick of hauling my homemade sled around.

·
Registered
607 Posts
12" thin kerf's are a no-go for finishing as far as I'm concerned.

Years back the local lumberyard guru and I were talking about sliding miter saws. He grabbed an older style milwaukee 10" and wobbled the handle side to side. Practically no movement. He then grabs the 12" hitachi and it has a very noticable amount of deflection. No blade will correct that.

I've used 10" hitachi slider's exclusively for 7+ years. IMO I haven't used a better saw yet.

I've used a 12" dewalt, and 12" milwaukee scms. With thin kerf blades you just couldn't get a good clean cut.

·
Love me some Concrete
1,834 Posts
Dewalt saw and Bosch gravity rise stand for the saw are the perfect combination!:thumbsup:

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I guess I'm a glutton for punishment. Saw is designed differently than the slider. And my dad (taught me everything I know) swears by hitachi.

·
Registered
6,819 Posts
I guess I'm a glutton for punishment. Saw is designed differently than the slider. And my dad (taught me everything I know) swears by hitachi.
The old hitachi saws from 15 years ago yes, but the new ones are no good.
They have the *****tiest fences of any saw.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well I will find out. If the saw sucks... I'll chalk it up as a loss, and buy something else. But at 100 less than any other dual bevel it's a risk I'll take. Hopefully it pays off if not I'll have to build a new saw into the next bid...:thumbsup:

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Been working for the same guy for 7 years. Went on my own 4 months ago. If a ****ty saw is the worst blunder this year I'm gonna be a happy man!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts