Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have particularly nasty well water. I have a sediment filter, Kinetico green sand filter and water softener and a final filter. This makes the water tolerable but there is nothing to inhibit algae growth, the pink glop plugs shower heads, discolors toilet bowls and blocks faucet screens.
I am considering adding a chlorinator to the system and I would like to know the pros/cons, types and prices. Everybody wants to sell me one for $3-400.00 (retail) and won't hear of a contractors discount, freakin' water guys.
Any advice would be appreciated.

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Bump

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Glass, if I can help, let me know. I've been at this for about 2 yrs. now, I wish that I had built the small treatment plant that I had originally planned. I spent 7yrs. as an engineer for a large city utilities dept. I thought that I would take the cheap/easy way out and got my butt burned in the process.
Ain't it always the way? Shortsheeted my own bed!

·
Registered
438 Posts
Did you ever try an areator, sometimes they work for this type problem.
The thing is kinda of like a check valve that goes in line, only as water passes by it a shiver valves opens and allows room air to enter the line.

Bjd

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Bjd, most treatment plants here include an areator and I had planned to put one in my system but open to the air. I have a lot of questions about this shiver valve. My explorations seem to show it as some type of hydraulic multiplier valve. Are you sure that you have the spelling correct?

·
Registered
438 Posts
Yea pretty sure of the name, they install them before the softner.
I have also seen them with an airator and a storage tank to deairator design.

Seems to work

BJD

1 - 7 of 7 Posts