Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
4,662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any stories ? Good or bad.

Went to one yesterday, second time in my life. I think I should wait until my knee is 100% before I go back.

·
Trees are Cool
195 Posts
I went one time. I was not into the dynamic snapping. Some people have good luck. I like physical therapists.

·
I'm a Mac
5,487 Posts
I think chiropractors have their place, but seeing one regularly I don't think is good. I've had 2 back surgeries, I no longer see them...I'm strictly committed to my 'registered' massage therapist now!

·
Registered
129 Posts
I go to one every month. Get a massage every month. My back is my most important tool. I have to maintain it.

Before I started going I would have crippling sciatic pain about half the time and have to fight through it. Chiropractor was able to keep me off the surgeons table, which I'm very happy for. Not everyone is that fortunate.

In my experience is those that had problems a chiropractor was able to fix, love chiropractors. Those that could not be fixed by chiropractors, or just didn't give it the time, think they are a fraud.

It also depends on if you find a good one or not. I'm going to be screwed when mine retires in a few years probably.

·
Drywall Slave
9,441 Posts
I Stopped going 12 years ago And I've never felt better!

I do still have back problems [lower back] But not near as bad .
I think he was doing me more bad than good.

·
Registered
Remodel
31,008 Posts
It's highly dependent on the problem and the chiropractor. It took me going through a few of them to find one that could actually fix my back. No going back week after week - after it started improving, I was scheduled with a longer time between sessions. I don't think it was 10 sessions, total.

What are you getting worked on?

·
Registered
4,662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Back pain related to gimping around with this knee thing.

Back in the mid 90's I pulled a muscle really bad in my lower back. My bosses wife worked at a chiropractors office. I went to that guy. one visit. Fixed. It was a miracle. I could not believe it.

It's not for everyone. And I have never been a big believer in them. But my insurance covers it and I figured why not give it a go.

·
Box Builder
6,320 Posts
My father has been kept out of surgery by his chiropractor. I go and see her every once and awhile. They don't take insurance anymore, so I only go if I really am feeling pain. Been pretty good with it though. I'll tell you that doing yoga or even just stretching in the morning before you start the day will do wonders for your whole body.

·
Registered
Custom
13,665 Posts
Haven't had a negative experience yet... can't say the same for regular doctors... :whistling

But like all doctors, not all are created equal...

·
Contractor
7,644 Posts
I have never visited a chiropractor, so I don't really have a justified opinion, but I have found great relief from Acupuncture treatment.

I have heard of chiropractors doing more damage than good, I've not heard of the "pin cushion" method doing damage.

FWIW. I was introduced to acupuncture by a friend who has severe arthritis in her hands and she was relieved of a great deal of pain from the treatments. I found it is great for my back, as well as general stress relief.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
I did not trust them, I thought it was quackery.
Then I hurt my back. The doctor didn't help so I went to a chiro.
It was like a miracle happened.
I had a great experience.
When I moved, I found another one.
Terrible, really put me off for a long time.
Finally I was so gimped up I went to another one that my friend recommended. He is great.
Now go every month for a tune up.
Not to mention that I have gotten tons of work out of him.
$40 a visit is a little steep though.

·
Super Moderator
24,787 Posts
I have never visited a chiropractor, so I don't really have a justified opinion, but I have found great relief from Acupuncture treatment.

I have heard of chiropractors doing more damage than good, I've not heard of the "pin cushion" method doing damage.

FWIW. I was introduced to acupuncture by a friend who has severe arthritis in her hands and she was relieved of a great deal of pain from the treatments. I found it is great for my back, as well as general stress relief.
I am also a believer in Acupuncture.

Don't care for quackers....

·
Registered
Custom
13,665 Posts
Rephrased: you do not have to be a doctor to be chiropractor.
Their training is pretty intense... it's not like they attend a seminar and throw out a shingle...

They have 3-4 years undergrad studies/degree as a per-requisite (like medical and dental), then another 4 years post-graduate studies.... they are licensed and accepted in all 50 states... they get a doctorate degree in Chiropractic Medicine and they have CCE's, and the AMA recognizes them as a healthcare practice...

Whether you like them or not, they are far from "quacks"...

·
diplomat
5,292 Posts
Their training is pretty intense... it's not like they attend a seminar and throw out a shingle...

They have 3-4 years undergrad studies/degree as a per-requisite (like medical and dental), then another 4 years post-graduate studies.... they are licensed and accepted in all 50 states... they get a doctorate degree in Chiropractic Medicine and they have CCE's, and the AMA recognizes them as a healthcare practice...

Whether you like them or not, they are far from "quacks"...
What you (and many of my friends) do with their money is not for me to judge, but I do anyway.

I've turned a couple away by suggesting stretching as an inexpensive alternative, with good results.

·
Registered
7,079 Posts
Hmmm, dated mine for about three years. So, mostly good. Brought new meaning to "regular adjustments":laughing:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts