Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the market for a new chipping gun for tile demo jobs and figured why not get your input. What are you guys using?

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
Carpentry
229 Posts
The bigger the job the bigger the hammer. Ive used all the way up to the 75lb makita jackhammer

·
Registered
Carpentry
229 Posts
I would go for what is most comfortable and controllable for the job. Use the biggest heaviest one you can handle. When I was up on 3 frames of scaffolding chipping overhead I went for the smaller ones because when the bit slips you dont want it pulling you around.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The bigger the job the bigger the hammer. Ive used all the way up to the 75lb makita jackhammer
Easy there turbo lol. Should've elaborated. I need something a little versatile at the moment. Unfortunately my day job has some hacks and I'm often tasked with fixing their crap. But I also need it to be able to handle my personal business. I've used Makita as well as Milwaukee and liked them both. Guess I'm asking if you guys have a preference. I appreciate there input

·
Registered
Carpentry
229 Posts
Easy there turbo lol. Should've elaborated. I need something a little versatile at the moment. Unfortunately my day job has some hacks and I'm often tasked with fixing their crap. But I also need it to be able to handle my personal business. I've used Makita as well as Milwaukee and liked them both.
Id go with makita because they are japanese. If you know anything about japanese culture you will understand why.

The bosch bulldog is very popular, its about as small and weak as you can get though.

·
Eater of sins.
4,576 Posts
I am not sure exactly what you mean by a "chipping gun" but I use the Makita 18 volt x 2 SDS-plus roto hammer and the Ridgid SDS-plus roto hammer.

The Ridgid I use for the smaller jobs like interior tile and such with a 1" Bosch or Milwaukee bit.

The Makita does the bigger jobs like concrete for 6" holes.

I swear to god though, the Ridgid Octane 3 AH batteries get sucked down so quickly I have to use about 4 of them for a standard tub surround. And those are 21700 battery cells.

Andy.

·
Registered
Demo
101 Posts
I use a 20 lb sds max makita for floor tile removal. If you’re doing a lot, it wears out your lower back after a while because the design isn’t great for that position.

It’s paid for itself a few times and the quality is top notch but for lots of floor tile keep looking.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I am not sure exactly what you mean by a "chipping gun" but I use the Makita 18 volt x 2 SDS-plus roto hammer and the Ridgid SDS-plus roto hammer.

The Ridgid I use for the smaller jobs like interior tile and such with a 1" Bosch or Milwaukee bit.

The Makita does the bigger jobs like concrete for 6" holes.

I swear to god though, the Ridgid Octane 3 AH batteries get sucked down so quickly I have to use about 4 of them for a standard tub surround. And those are 21700 battery cells.

Andy.
I've been contemplating going the cordless route but unsure if the battery life. I'm heavily invested in Milwaukee M18 platform and have a ton of different batteries from 2mah to the high output 8mah. I rarely do large demos but do have a job with about 1000sqft of porcelain to remove on the books. You think a cordless would be too much of a headache?

·
Goin' Down in Flames....
Highwayman
6,036 Posts
I have a ton of M18 stuff, but many things I am just not willing to go cordless on. And a demo hammer is one.

I don’t like the Bosch demo hammers. I don’t like Bosch cordless at all.

I have the 1 9/16“ I think Milwaukee corded unit.

It’s the biggest rotary hammer they make. It’s extremely powerful and easy to use.
it’s heavy, yes, but that tends to dampen vibration, and it has a shock absorbing handle as well.

It’s made in the Czech Republic by the way. Not china.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Have a hilti corded that I picked up at a estate sale for $50. One of those deals that you stumble along sometimes. Discontinued small one that replaced a Bosch corded that green horn tried to bore a 6” hole through 12” footing. Hilti is nice, quieter than the Bosch and as powerful or more so. Pricey new.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
12,360 Posts
I like a corded 1 inch SDS plus Bosch Bulldog for that type of work. Cheap, under 200 bucks.

Lightweight, and easier to get a good angle than the heavier duty demo hammers.

I abuse mine and it won't die.

I have the Milwaukie 18v hammer drill, but wouldn't want to use it for tile demo.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

·
Carpe Diem
20,742 Posts
I have about a 12 year old Hitachi SDS Max chipper. It's big enough to handle residential but small enough that it doesn't rip your arm off your shoulder. It has always done its job.

It's not a rotary hammer, just impact. I can see the benefits of cordless but I wouldn't want to spend that much in batteries to keep a battery demo hammer going for 4-6 hours. A small demo hammer wouldn't be powerful enough to use a 4" blade to pry layers of flooring up. I think the model I have is H45MR and it's been the Goldy Locks demo tool for me.

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
I've been contemplating going the cordless route but unsure if the battery life. I'm heavily invested in Milwaukee M18 platform and have a ton of different batteries from 2mah to the high output 8mah. I rarely do large demos but do have a job with about 1000sqft of porcelain to remove on the books. You think a cordless would be too much of a headache?

love my big cordless makita .put a small spade on it [bosch makes the small spade] and it is great for digging .easier to deal with then the 20lb corded .cleans up tile from the floor just fine .definitly was a worthwhile purchase

·
Premium Member
Honolulu, Hawaii
18,253 Posts
I have 5 different sizes for all different size jobs..

Attachments

·
GC/carpenter
GC/Carpenter
43,309 Posts
I have both those hammers they are great and each have thier purpose.

I also own the large 15amp Bosch breaker hammer, which doesn't get used that often but when it does it makes it worth having.

All in all we have 4 sizes.

Mike.
___

·
1 on 2
Mason
340 Posts
I use a 20 lb sds max makita for floor tile removal. If you’re doing a lot, it wears out your lower back after a while because the design isn’t great for that position.

It’s paid for itself a few times and the quality is top notch but for lots of floor tile keep looking.
Second on this. Sitting on a bucket saves the back a lot. Switches up position.

Great tool.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts