Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I'm working on a house that has a 1930's built-in smoker in the basement. (It's pretty cool -- I'm attaching pics below.) The chimney (square, brick) is in good condition and appears to be in full working order (it used to exhaust the oil furnace before we replaced it with a gas one). There seems to be a shaft (metal pipe) insert within it that goes up to the top. However, do I need to add some sort of firecaulking or other duct/shaft attachment to prevent smoke from getting through the gap between the 6" insert and 8" hole up to the chimney? Suggestions?

Thanks!

Attachments

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
I can't see that working well, a smoker runs at 230 Fahrenheit and it takes a long time to get the stack hot enough to draw. So much so that in comps people will stick a weed burner torch in the opposite end of the chimney to get it warm enough to start drawing.

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
Any properly designed/built chimney will draw with zero temp difference. they will draw MORE when hot. See Bernoulli's law.... one or two CFM for a smoldering wood chips???

Is that a dampener in the photo? otherwise, chimney would "freeze" smoker.

fiberglass sans paper, crammed around 6" pipe and a tin 'thimble' to protect the fiber glass.

Smoked food tastes great, = GI tract cancers....:sad:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ended up using some Hi Temp Concrete -- seems to seal it alright. I'll have to do a quick test to make sure that chimney (and all -- there are 3 in all) before I turn the house over, of course.

Thanks, everyone, for your input.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts