Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to purchase a cabin and found this on my inspection. I am by no means an expert on chimney pipe installation but this looks at best sloppy and at worst dangerous. This is in a wood-burning fireplace that appears barely used. Just after the firbox, right above the damper the pipe from above inserts inside the pipe below it. My concern is that the gases will escape around the outside of the chimney pipe instead of up the chimney. I am also concerned that due to the bent and wrinkled pipe a disruption in airflow will occur affecting the flow of gases. One expert I contacted stated that this was normal and that the flue action will suck the gases up. He said the pipe must be installed into the ipes from below to allow water/condensation to flow inside the assembly. I understand this but I am still a little concerned. I am under a tight time constraint and can't get an inspection done by a chimney expert before I am scheduled to close. Any input would be much appreciated. I am uploading two pics to try and demonstrate the condition. Thanks to all.

Attachments

·
Registered
Brickwork
1,113 Posts
The ones that I have fitted have always gone into a spigot in the gather, but our codes may be different to yours. We wouldn't get away with that.

·
Registered
5,425 Posts
Looks like a Hack job to me, delay the closing and get a real pro in to give you the bottom line. Or close, requesting money in escrow until you are confidant that the chimney is repaired, and working safely. Dont mess around with this. welcome to CT. G

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
chimney

Thanks for validating my thought that this is a hack job. I don't like to characterize something I am not an expert in. For instance I don't know what a spigot or a gather is. I just know it didn't look good. If I can't get an inspection I will take the advice of escrowing some money. I appreciate all input. Unfortunately TN doesn't have statewide mandated building inspections so I expected and have found an awful lot of problems, most of which I can handle. I'm just not well versed in fireplace and chimney work. Thanks again.

·
Registered
Brickwork
1,113 Posts
For instance I don't know what a spigot or a gather is.
Sorry bsp, its my lingo that's thown you. I think a gather is what you call a fire box. It's the funnel shaped bottom of the flue, which we used to build with cut bricks. This speeds up the gases to help send them up the flue. The spigot is at the top of the gather, it's a bit hard to describe but I should be able to put a site with a piture on the next post, as this is number 15.
The inside of the flue should be as smooth as possible for an open fire, and well sealed to prevent the escape of any fumes. It is possible for some to escape through small gaps, especially at the start when the heavier. colder air forces the lighter, warmer air out of any gaps. You often notice that a fire will send smoke back into the room when first lit.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Voodoo vent

Lousy and dangerous job. Vent stack should fit over manufactured unit, not into. Ashcap should stop all but driven rain. Unsafe and unwise from several angles.

·
Registered
166 Posts
bsp,
cuold you post a picture of the woodburner? this could be a correct installation if i think i know what you are describing. have you considered getting a licensed chimney sweep to clean and inspect the installation.it could save a life(yours):clap:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Vent problem

I took the pics to a local installer and he confirmed the poor work. The extent of the problem won't be identified unless and until I have it inspected. It may never come to that because of another, much more expensive problem I identified which I don't think the seller will pay for so I will end up terminating the contract. Thanks for the link stuart45, that is exactly what I looked at with the installer. Basically the installation in question has a pipe (not sure if it is even correct type at this point) inserted inside the gather and screwed in through the sides from the inside instead of snapped into it properly. I appreciate all the info.
I learned some new words!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts