Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, I stuccoed this chimney for my uncle back in 2010. He calls me the other day saying that the chimney is leaking and a little of the finish coat came off. So I went and checked it out today and this is what I found.

Two small pieces of the finish coat came off.

When I did the job I didn't touch the flashing because it seemed ok.
I know that you can't tell from this picture but it still seems like its ok.
Even with that goofy piece of flashing on the back, it still seemed water tight when I was up there.

Look at these water stains on the foundation. This is the main reason that he thinks its leaking. What could cause the stains on the foundation like that?

And he thinks that these water stains in the basement are from it leaking.

Could it be condensation? I checked the flues and they looked ok.
What sucks is being that hes family, I cut him a break. I did it for peanuts! Now I get the impression that he thinks its my fault. I only stuccoed the damn thing !

·
Registered
8,139 Posts
Metal liner would be a good start. If it were the lead then it would be on the face of the stucco under the soffit. Looks like a good job to me, weird the corners let go like that. Did you get up there and tap on anything else. , was the chimney an abortion before?

·
Registered
686 Posts
That's a good question.......what was the stucco covering up?

If I were to wager a guess, it's possible that water wicked down to that spot and froze.....but I'm just throwing a dart.....

Those stains on both sides of the chimney don't tell me much, white rendering is always susceptible to staining from tannins, but you seem to have vinyl siding there.......it could just be dirt/grime stains, but connecting those to the chimney seems a stretch......

Where's a head-scratching smilie?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Metal liner would be a good start. If it were the lead then it would be on the face of the stucco under the soffit. Looks like a good job to me, weird the corners let go like that. Did you get up there and tap on anything else. , was the chimney an abortion before?
I thought it was weird how that corner came off too. It seems fishy. I'm wondering if he was up there monkeying around. I tapped on the rest of the stucco and it seemed solid. It didn't sound hallow. The chimney was a block chimney. Its showed a little deterioration but not too bad. It wasn't deplorable. It was more of a cosmetic fix.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That's a good question.......what was the stucco covering up?

If I were to wager a guess, it's possible that water wicked down to that spot and froze.....but I'm just throwing a dart.....

Those stains on both sides of the chimney don't tell me much, white rendering is always susceptible to staining from tannins, but you seem to have vinyl siding there.......it could just be dirt/grime stains, but connecting those to the chimney seems a stretch......

Where's a head-scratching smilie?
My first thought was that the stains on the foundation were from the siding leaking somewhere but look at that stove pipe coming from the furnace. It Should be sealed into a terracotta thimble I think. But its not. The galvanized stove pipe goes right through the foundation wall right into the flue. I'm thinking that maybe the stove pipe is rusted out and condensation is getting in the cores of the block foundation wall,then out of the top causing the stains. I don't know.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Brin
Tap the bottom of the flue pipe near the chimney. Sometimes condensation drips back and will cause a rust build up and when tapped it will sound solid.

How about a photo showing the whole side of the house. I would guess that water is getting behind the siding. It was a very wet and cold winter and if there are warm spots on the chimney side of the house it could also be condensation running down behind the siding, hopefully on the outside of the house wrap or felt and not on the sheathing. Very few siding installers put flashing under the window J channels to the top of the siding course under them and this is a leak area. That is why vinyl siding has weep holes. You may need to remove a few courses of siding to check that out.
Hard to guess at the stucco chips. Perhaps just a small porous spot that water got into and froze.
I have two different customers that have similar problems that I have not been able to determine the cause of, even taking siding and roofing off to check for proper installation techniques.
If you figure it out please let use know the cause.
Bill T

1 - 7 of 7 Posts