Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Banned
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I replace a roof, I always do a tear off, and replace all the flashing. In my Contract I put a clause saying that chimney flashing is not included in my price. Am I correct to assume that a Mason should be called in if the counter flashing is old and needs replacement? I have replaced base flashings when they are damaged, but I was wondering if other roofers got involved with the counter flashing, and if they do, do you treat this as an extra?

·
Registered
101 Posts
i re-use the counter flashing only if its right, in good condition, and made of lead or copper i hate aluminum.and if it has counter counter with alum step, thats very bad the copper eats away at the alum. i replace all my step flashing only when it has more then one nail hole in it. i hate when hacks nail right up to it. so i usualy replace it 90% of the time. ive never called a mason to do counter flashing. i imagine the mason would get sick of 1 hour visits evey roof you do, so i sujest you learn to do it yourself, and save yourself some money.
What is base flashing?:shutup: you mean step flashing?:whistling

·
Commercial Roofing
1,220 Posts
i re-use the counter flashing only if its right, in good condition, and made of lead or copper i hate aluminum.and if it has counter counter with alum step, thats very bad the copper eats away at the alum. i replace all my step flashing only when it has more then one nail hole in it. i hate when hacks nail right up to it. so i usualy replace it 90% of the time. ive never called a mason to do counter flashing. i imagine the mason would get sick of 1 hour visits evey roof you do, so i sujest you learn to do it yourself, and save yourself some money.
What is base flashing?:shutup: you mean step flashing?:whistling
did you REALLY say "What is base flashing?" You ARE a roofer??????

·
Commercial Roofing
1,220 Posts
I do the chimneys and all base flashings and counterflashings myself/in-house. Fabrication is sometimes farmed.

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
We replace everything every time

Reactions: PA woodbutcher

·
Banned
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the feedback, in the future Ill plan on the chimney flashing as well. Makes sense since masons in my area are hard to find. (Plumbers are a little easier to find, Electricians.... Shake a tree and five drop out).

On the job I just did, I ended up building a cricket behind the chimney and redoing the flashing around that part. Took me about 4hrs, including the material run. Choose to eat the cost, since I had not discussed it specifically with the customer (Not comfortable pointing out whats in the contract unless its significant). Also I did a lot of other work for the customer previously. Feel like a hack now, for not replacing all the flashing, next time Ill plan on doing it from the get go.

When I said "Base Flashing" I was referring to the step flashing and the pieces that go above the chimney and below. Everything except the Counter Flashing. I guess "Apron Flashing" might be the proper word. Base Flashing might be something I heard once, or maybe my own lingo. Thanks for everyones feedback.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Unfortunately for the most part with shinglers here you are dealing with a 'I only wack shingles mentality' so we usually end up installing one of those counterflash gum lip jobbies for counterflashing. Not the best possible solution, but it does work and looks fine if done properly. Finding masons on short order here (or most any qualified tradesman) is difficult at best.

I always wondered about a sticky thread with terminology, so many out of town roofers here I wouldn't mind knowing what the hell they're talking about!

·
Registered
8,573 Posts
It's the roofers job to ensure that the roof is water tight. The chimney flashing is a component of a sloped roofing system, thus the roofer's responsibility in my opinion. I replace all flashings as possible, and certainly wouldn't reuse a chimney flashing since I've never come up against one yet that was impossible to repalce. I factor the cost into every job, which is really not a huge factor.

However many hacks in my area will reuse flashings siting that "they still look good and I don't want to waste your money" but what they really mean is "my guys are good shinglers but have no idea when it comes to flashing and I am not charging you enough to afford paying a guy who has a brain and can figure it out." They also neglect to tell the customer that though the flashing looks good now it's likely to leak within 5 years since that flashing is original to the hosue and is likely 20+ years old already.

Why one would replace a roof and not repalce ALL flashings, I'll never know... Oh no wait. Low bidder wins, I forgot.

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
It's the roofers job to ensure that the roof is water tight. The chimney flashing is a component of a sloped roofing system, thus the roofer's responsibility in my opinion. I replace all flashings as possible, and certainly wouldn't reuse a chimney flashing since I've never come up against one yet that was impossible to repalce. I factor the cost into every job, which is really not a huge factor.

However many hacks in my area will reuse flashings siting that "they still look good and I don't want to waste your money" but what they really mean is "my guys are good shinglers but have no idea when it comes to flashing and I am not charging you enough to afford paying a guy who has a brain and can figure it out." They also neglect to tell the customer that though the flashing looks good now it's likely to leak within 5 years since that flashing is original to the hosue and is likely 20+ years old already.

Why one would replace a roof and not repalce ALL flashings, I'll never know... Oh no wait. Low bidder wins, I forgot.

IMO this is the only post that needs to be here:thumbsup:

kind of the same mentality when we try to sell roofs, i absolutely will not sign a job unless i'm allowed into the attic to check venting and if there is issues, be able to address correcting them, so typically we're a minimum of $1K higher than the rest of the "shingle slingers" so we only sell a hand full of roofs every year outright...but i refuse to ever be associated with a roof that looks no better in 5-10yrs than it did prior to me looking at it initally when it had venting issues to begin with. I had to laugh at my neighbor across the street, he just roofed his place 8 years ago...and i told him, none of these houses in our neighborhood (built in the 80's) are vented right, but he knew better and now he's scrambling to reroof so he can list/sell it this fall...and of course, he wont be venting it properly this time either....

guess i'll never understand why people wanna spend money doing a job twice to save a small percentage initally, and i'll never understand why i dont just jump on all this hack mentality since these cats seem to be swamped with work all the time....does it matter if you have people talking bad about ya? nope, cuz you never expect to deal with them again due to the long list of other fools you have to work for.:furious:

·
Registered
185 Posts
I realize it is best to replace all flashings, however in some instances this is not always practical.

Houses with stucco siding are a good example. To replace all of the flashing in such an instance would require either; a) an entire re-stucco job, b) a stucco patch job, or c) counterflashing with a gum lip or alternatively you can cut in a reglet counterflashing, god forbid there is any asbestos to deal with. How do you guys deal with stucco?

·
Registered
190 Posts
I realize it is best to replace all flashings, however in some instances this is not always practical.

Houses with stucco siding are a good example. To replace all of the flashing in such an instance would require either; a) an entire re-stucco job, b) a stucco patch job, or c) counterflashing with a gum lip or alternatively you can cut in a reglet counterflashing, god forbid there is any asbestos to deal with. How do you guys deal with stucco?
I done it all three ways. If the flashing is in good condition I run a half roll of peel-n-stick under it and nail it off then come back over with the dry-in and a thin layer of MB. Then I set the new flashing set in MB both to the deck and the wall, then install the counter with either zinc smacks or Zac fasteners.... use "quad" to fill seal the kick... haven't had any issues.

·
Registered
7 Posts
In my experience roofers and masons are rarely well equiped to do proper flashings. In this area it falls to a sheet metal worker since the longest lasting flashing material is often Sheet metal of some nature.
I have re-done more mason or roofer flashings than that of sheet metal workers in the 66 years since I joined local 41

·
Registered
186 Posts
In my experience roofers and masons are rarely well equiped to do proper flashings. In this area it falls to a sheet metal worker since the longest lasting flashing material is often Sheet metal of some nature.
I have re-done more mason or roofer flashings than that of sheet metal workers in the 66 years since I joined local 41

66 YEARS ? Your still worken at 80 + YEARS OLD :w00t: :notworthy

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
born in 1928 left school for an apprenticeship in 43
:notworthy My grandfather whom i was very fortunate enough to work side by side with since i could walk taught me everything i know and I was blessed to grow up "old school" with ethics/principals vs many of today's so called "contractors/handymen" flooding the markets and ruining reputations world wide. So i commend you for being there, doing that, and still keeping with it:clap: My grandfather finally officially took off the tool belts, sold most of the larger tools and went into requirment, not due to lack of ambitetion, but more so the body giving way, but i'm so thankful i was afforded the opportunity to work beside him for so many years learning not only construction, but also the kind of steel it takes to be a good man!!

(sorry to go off course, i just have alot of respect for the "ole boys")

1 - 20 of 39 Posts