Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
41 - 48 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
502 Posts
Injuries are a lot harder to swallow rather than your pride. Weekly by law I have to hold tool box talks/ safety meetings . No matter what the topic of the week happens to be, I drill into my guys first and foremost there is no such thing as being to safe period.

·
Registered
686 Posts
I didn't mean to sound harsh, but I've got a friend here who fell from about 20'......his wife had to bring pictures in so that the plastic surgeon could have an idea of what he was supposed to look like...

They thought he may have blacked out, fainted, whatever, as he didn't suffer broken arms or wrists, which apparently always happens as someone tries to break a fall......

I get that a lot of guys do that 'stand on the chimney' thing.....and who doesn't enjoy watching Fred Dibnah?

It reminds me of that old story about some pro football coach, who was bringing his team out to practice on a day it was about 10º below zero, stating "We're gonna separate the men from the boys!" A lineman started jogging back to the locker room, saying "So long, men"

·
Registered
5,170 Posts
I drill into my guys first and foremost there is no such thing as being to safe period.

I have a friend who's company is now self insured. I can guarantee he did not reach that plateau by having a lot of injuries on his job sites.

·
Registered
8,139 Posts
I remember watching my pals who were framers run across ridges when they were running up the rafters, walking actoss joists and generally doing crap I would never do. Standing on a chimney seemed pretty mild to what framers do on a day to day basis. Even hopping out a window onto a wall bracket is not something I generally would ever hope to do again.

·
Registered
5,170 Posts
How did I get quoted in reference to "your" friend. JDK?

Because instilling safety into the crew is the way to go to eventually reach that plateau that you can become self insured. Accidents / fatalities will put you out of business.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Because instilling safety into the crew is the way to go to eventually reach that plateau that you can become self insured. Accidents / fatalities will put you out of business.
The only thing that can't be figured in is the human factor. You can't fix stupid. Which tends to be the root cause of most recordable injuries.

·
Registered
5,170 Posts
The only thing that can't be figured in is the human factor. You can't fix stupid. Which tends to be the root cause of most recordable injuries.

You are very much correct. Hopefully, the H.R. administrator will be able to ascertain a good hire from a walking liability,although some will fall through the cracks.

In the early '70s a carpenter friend worked for a very large construction co. they had absolutely a 0 tolerance policy,regarding several issues. One was any carpenter caught throwing a board on the ground with nail protruding,or not bent over,go straight to trailer and get your check,you are done.When you hired in you were told the rules.

41 - 48 of 48 Posts