Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted this in (Masonry Picture Post) but I think I should have posted it here is there any way to delete the first post?

Hi Guys,

Let me start out by saying I own a custom closet company and have minimal knowledge about masonry.

I have recently had some chimney work done the work entailed having 2 to 3 rows of bricks reset and pointed replace cracked flu pipes and replace Capping. On the day that the Mason arrived I questioned him on the temperature which was 29°to 34° he made it sound like it wasn't that big of a deal he said he would just add antifreeze to the mortar after he finished working he said everything went well and it's all finished so I paid him and he left.

A few hours later I decided to get my ladder out and check out the work to my disappointment I saw my Chimney cap crack and lifting just as bad as the old one so I immediately took some pictures and sent it to him he did not answer my text message or my calls. He finally answered the following day when my wife called with her number blocked. When I spoke to him he told me the cracks are superficial cracks and it's normal he can come by and fill the cracks. I do not want him coming back to fill the cracks that's not what I paid for. If he comes back he will have to replace the capping but my concern is that if the capping is cracked and lifting wouldn't that probably mean the mortar between the bricks is not bonded well it either.

I paid $1700 for for the work I had several other estimates and he was the highest I wasn't looking for cheap. I chose to go with them because he is licensed and insured and told me how he was going to set up scaffolding and came recommended.

I would appreciate your guidance professional opinion on what my next step I should take.

Any help would be greatly appreciated thanks!

http://postimg.org/gallery/5spevm9s/

·
Registered
8,139 Posts
If he used a pre mix sand mix (portland and sand) a lot of the bagged mixes tend to dry quick the first time unless it is remixed shortly after, then it wont set again as fast. It will cause a crack like that in this case, and lift from the bricks.

Ive popped a couple off when they are wet as it was setting up and I knew it would crack.

It probably wasnt due to the cold.

·
Registered
686 Posts
Ouch. I'm assuming his staging is down? There seem to be a few issues here.....yes, he should have waited for a warmer day, although I don't think what you're seeing is due to freezing.

The crown was made too wet for one, this is not uncommon, and sometimes shrinkage cracks can be filled......yours is, sadly, not a candidate for that....

It's too thin as well.......while I've seen hundreds feathered out that thin, those are just begging to be short time crowns.....

He didn't seem to put a bond break between the crown and the flues.....I see something white there, but I'm not sure what it is, and it certainly isn't continuous.......the concrete cap should not attach to the flues......thermal expansion will happen, and when they're 'locked in', the cap will do......well, that.

Are we looking at a furnace flue? I'm not sure why there seems to be soot around the outside of it, but a flue in use should have clued him in to needing to allow for movement. Doing that usually means the guys have to allow one more day for caulking, even if it's just an hour.......hopefully you can get him back to fix it.......good luck

That article the fjn posted is very helpful, and your pictures are good............I'm curious as to what he will say........

·
Registered
8,139 Posts
Those bricks look like 53DD's and they should be wet before the portland gets put down or it will always pull away.

Notice the dry laid flue at the top, /eye roll.

Do me a favor and go up to the top of the chimney with a hammer and tap on the concrete cap. It should make a ding noise that runs through the chimney, not a thud like there is wood under it.

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
The bad thing about trying to get him back to fix it is, he didn't know how to fix it the first time,.....he isn't going know how to fix it the second time.

Probably better to get someone else to come fix it.....I wish you luck.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Wow guys thanks so much for all the advice given so far. Big thanks to fjn for posting that article it was very informative.

Well this sucks I can’t say I am surprised I knew when I first saw how it looked that I was in trouble. I’m not sure what my next step should be, the roof is in the process of being installed now. The plan was have the chimney work done before the new roof to prevent any damage to the new roof.

After reading all the comments I am having second thoughts about having him come back to fix the job I am tempted to email him a link to this post and have him see his peers opinions of his work…. I am contemplating sending him the article that fjn linked and telling him I want it all done over following the advice given in the article…. I don’t think that will go over well considering he thinks all he has to do is fill the cracks to make everything better…….

I’m going to try and take a few more pictures and post them is there any angles that would help to see what has to be done to make the proper repair?

I saw some one ask what the chimney is used for it’s for a vented gas fire place and a gas furnace.

Let me know if I can provide you with any other helpful information.

·
Registered
8,139 Posts
From one of the pictures it looks like you need a cricket. Make sure you get one with your roof.

The amount of efflorescence on the bricks indicate you need a metal liner as well.

The chimney should have just come down to the roof. I do those for 2500 in a day all year long.

You don't really save any money from having a mason fix some of a small chimney or the whole chimney as your paying for the day regardless.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Should go down to the roof as jbm said. All said and done couple bucks more well worth it, new brick flashing and flues to go along with your new roof

·
Registered
Brickwork
1,107 Posts
A gas fire can use a conventional flue here as long as it's been properly tested, but most fitters like to fit a new s/s flue.
Any gas appliance here has to be done a someone who is registered with gas safe, and can be held liable to criminal charges for faulty work.
http://www.gassaferegister.co.uk/

1 - 20 of 48 Posts