Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys,

So as the title suggests I'm in the market for new design software. I currently have AutoCAD 2004 and I'm tired of how clunky and cumbersome it feels.

I know a lot of guys use Chief Architect, but my question is which version?

I'm just doing remodels and the plans would only be for presenting to the clients. I want to be able to show them 3D kitchen and bathroom designs. Any major design, such as additions, will still be handled by my architect, so that it can be stamped.

So which would you choose?

·
Eater of sins.
4,784 Posts
Probably Home Designer Pro would be right for you then.

I use the Premier version myself and I understand that Home Designer Pro will do layout pages up to 24" x 18". I think you can only do one page at a time also. Though it sounds like you would not really be needing anything more than that.

HD Pro does the 3D stuff too and you can lay out kitchen and bath cabinets and rooms and such.

Andy.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Probably Home Designer Pro would be right for you then.

I use the Premier version myself and I understand that Home Designer Pro will do layout pages up to 24" x 18". I think you can only do one page at a time also. Though it sounds like you would not really be needing anything more than that.

HD Pro does the 3D stuff too and you can lay out kitchen and bath cabinets and rooms and such.

Andy.
That's what I was thinking. I think Home Designer Pro is only $500. Do you know if there are still layers and other "pro" design features in the Hd Pro Version?

I can't make a distinction between the premier and the pro versions. At least not for my uses

Is sketch up an improvement over the free version from Google?

·
Registered
56 Posts
I actually just bit the bullet on Home Designer Pro 2 days ago. Obviously that means I can't answer your questions on how it works but my plan is basically to use it for the same purposes you describe.

To me this is a no brainer for you because Chief offers a discount if you upgrade from Home Designer. So if you use it for a while and it's just not adequate for your needs, you can always upgrade. For a $2k difference, it seems it would be worth it to at least give Home Designer a shot.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I actually just bit the bullet on Home Designer Pro 2 days ago. Obviously that means I can't answer your questions on how it works but my plan is basically to use it for the same purposes you describe.

To me this is a no brainer for you because Chief offers a discount if you upgrade from Home Designer. So if you use it for a while and it's just not adequate for your needs, you can always upgrade. For a $2k difference, it seems it would be worth it to at least give Home Designer a shot.
That's what I'm thinking too...

Although I just found out my video card isn't powerful enough for the program... I bought my current machine almost ten years ago so there's no point in changing parts.

looks like ill be buying a new computer too. :clap:

·
diplomat
5,292 Posts
I feel like I can get quite a lot done with HD pro. Attached was literally 2 hours of work for a concept for a client, though I've been tinkering with the program for 7 years. The exterior shot involved a bit of photoshop too.

Attachments

·
diplomat
5,292 Posts
Since the porch is an addition project, I superimposed
It over the existing structure and landscape. It may or may not provide added value to my clients. Before I was a builder, I did photoshop compositing for big projects for years so it is very easy for me. There is some learning curve.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Golden view said:
Since the porch is an addition project, I superimposed It over the existing structure and landscape. It may or may not provide added value to my clients. Before I was a builder, I did photoshop compositing for big projects for years so it is very easy for me. There is some learning curve.
Oh I got it now. I guess I'll just stick with hd pro for now. Thanks for the advise.

·
General Contractor
8,111 Posts
Oh I got it now. I guess I'll just stick with hd pro for now. Thanks for the advise.
You will like it and HD will do most of it what you need. They also have tons of tricks and tips how to accomplish different things. I would suggest get Free Sketchup and use it in conjunction with HD. You can create different things in Sketchup that you cannot do in HD and use the models in HD.

If you need help, just drop a note in here and someone including myself will help you with some tricks and tips. Many here use both programs.

Good luck with it :thumbsup:

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks guys! I'm really excited to start learning it. I just got the new computer set up. Lenovo 12g of ram stupid fast processor. It's beyond a beast based on my needs.

I'm going to buy hd pro in the am. I'll be sure to post my first design this weekend.

·
diplomat
5,292 Posts
Tim,

I started with architectural for $200. It might even be enough. I went to pro for 18x24 printing and layouts. Also has some cad cross-section ability.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.