Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 305 Posts

·
Carpe Diem
20,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Started a remodel of a big powder into a small full bath. For some reason the "before" pics I took didn't save to my phone.

Kinda Before:

Started adding ply to the floor:

Someone else hung the CBU already. Of course, I had to pull it all down, plumb the wall and hang it again:

Facing East, putting layers of ply in:

Facing West adding more ply:

·
Dan
4,822 Posts
I used it in my last bathroom remodel. I really liked it. I strayed away from durrock many years ago and started using Hardie backer. Now I think for showers/tubs I may go back to using Durrock, and get used to putting hydro or kerdi over it. although if the seams are taped and sealed I don't see the reason in a tub surround to put anything over the durrock. It would take a lot of water and moisture to get through the grout and then through the durrock to really cause a problem.

where's the video. it's pouring here today and I'm trying to do office work.

·
Carpe Diem
20,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
where's the video. it's pouring here today and I'm trying to do office work.
Video is about 10 hours away :laughing:

My phone was too close to dying yesterday to take a video but I notices something very interesting. I'll share later.

·
Banned
3,020 Posts
Angus your Renovations in Chicago always look so tidy. Straight walls, reference lines, proper spacing... Nice work soldier!

Looks like your not putting the tub back in. What's going in that space?

Perhaps another channel drain install?

What's up with the backer board? I hate the cliff hangers - bring that charger to work...

·
Carpe Diem
20,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
John,

The home is over 100 years old. The HO bought 4 years ago and gutted all 4 floors. The room I'm working in was only a powder room but reconfigured taking up space from an old bedroom. The extra space was to fit a shower in. The HO had his own design when I contracted the job but as of yesterday, we redesigned the layout to maximize efficiency.

The project was (barely) started by a GC that was fired. The existing CBU wall is only 46" long but was out of plumb by 1". I fixed that and started on the floor. That is 1" off level in 82". The SLC will be poured last thing Friday.

I still need to build up the floor more. I'm matching the adjacent floor which has 1" concrete poured for sound insulation. So far from the joists there is 2 1/2" of subfloor. I'm adding an additional 1/2" today, then SLC, Ditra & 3/8" tile. The floor is pretty damn solid!

·
Dan
4,822 Posts
what do you do when the whole floor is slanted one direction and if you level it perfectly, you see it in the doorway. I can understand if it's sloped away from the door etc, but the other way, it looks odd at the door threshold to whatever flooring it outside the bathroom.

our last bath we just completed a few weeks ago, the drain side of tub floor was out 5/8". we leveled the tub. which leveled the tile surround. but the floor, if we poured leveling compound, would have followed right to the entrance door of the bathroom and really looked odd. so we chose to leave the floor alone. This job was on a tighter budget too. as far as walls go. if you start furring them out too much, then it can affect windows, trim, doors and trim etc. I only take it so far. when the shower or tub is the same exact width as the room, it can make plumbing up the shower/tub walls more difficult as the whole room has to get plumbed.

·
Carpe Diem
20,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
opiethetileman said:
well angus get out more some of us are already using next gen USG ROCK
Well then you'll like my video I'll post tonight.

Just saying, Permabase is my go to CBU.

1 - 20 of 305 Posts