Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was originally looking at a Sprinter but now we had a van go down and I need to pick up 2 vans. Looking at 2010 or newer Chevy 2500. The question is 4.8 or 6.0 and why? I want a 2010 or newer for the 6 speed transmission.

·
Remodeler
855 Posts
I had the 4.8 in my 02 silverado, good motor plenty of power. What will you be hauling/towing? 6.0 has oodles of power but you'll pay dearly at the pump. Big blocks are thirsty! If you tote a major load you may want the 6 liter.

6 speed probably helped the 6.0 a bit as of late, but the big boys also tend to have a 4.11 in the rear. Things to think about. I could easily see 20 MPGs with my 4.8. Do they offer the 5.3? That's what is in my new truck and I LOVE IT!!!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No it looks like the 5.3 is only available in the 1500. It will be an electrical service van with ladder rack. It's replacing a MUCH underpowered 4.3 V6. If the Promaster had some kind of track record yet I would look at it.

·
Registered
2,504 Posts
I've had both. Actually got better gas mileage with the 6.0, I think because of how the van was loaded. Both empty, the 4.8 got better mileage. But just a little load (or an empty trailer) caused the mileage on the 4.8 to go to crap.

·
Registered
2,504 Posts
txgencon, mind me asking what you got out of each under normal loaded conditions?
IIRC, about 13-14 with the 4.8 and 2K of load. About 16-17 with the 6.0. Both were 2011 models. With a utility trailer with a small Kubota (2500#), the 4.8 went to less than 8 mpg while the 6.0 only fell to around 12. Both vehicles had the computer thingy that provided mpg (as well as a number of other things).

·
Registered
2,504 Posts
Empty, I could get 22-23 mpg with the 6.0 and 24-25 mpg with the 4.8 if I really took it easy (highway). This was on the level terrain in my area. I drove the 6.0 very lightly loaded to Red River, NM (from Dallas) and pushed it a bit and got 17-18 on the overall trip (mountain terrain when we got into New Mexico). On the long haul (Dallas to Amarillo) I drove the speed limit (mostly) and used the cruise control. I actually got a warning ticket coming back for going 79 mph in a 75 mph zone. State trooper said, "You gotta draw the line somewhere."

·
Remodeler
855 Posts
txgencon said:
Empty, I could get 22-23 mpg with the 6.0 and 24-25 mpg with the 4.8 if I really took it easy (highway). This was on the level terrain in my area. I drove the 6.0 very lightly loaded to Red River, NM (from Dallas) and pushed it a bit and got 17-18 on the overall trip (mountain terrain when we got into New Mexico). On the long haul (Dallas to Amarillo) I drove the speed limit (mostly) and used the cruise control. I actually got a warning ticket coming back for going 79 mph in a 75 mph zone. State trooper said, "You gotta draw the line somewhere."
thats a lot better than the trucks with a 6.0, that was my experience. Surprised the vans do so well!!

·
Registered
2,504 Posts
thats a lot better than the trucks with a 6.0, that was my experience. Surprised the vans do so well!!
That's probably due to rear end ratios. Towing capacity of the same tonnage van is about half that of a pickup.

Reactions: TAHomeRepairs

·
Registered
346 Posts
ive towed with both the 4.8 and the 6.0 the 4.8 was always struggling and in passing gear just to get round town. the 6.0 pulls effortlessly, drags that big ass trailer up the hills and pulls me out of tight spots...think i would have blown that 4.8 with the auto up if i continued to try to drag this thing around anymore....I pay about the same for fuel mileage as the 6.0 does not have to work so hard....

·
Remodeler
855 Posts
When I had the 4.8 towing my trailer(3000#+/-) only time I had trouble with 3/4 gear was over 65 mph and into a strong headwind. Unless I tried to use the tow/haul mode. Then it dropped alot.

Like I said originally highly dependent on the load for OP. Sounds like the 4.8 would work for him, but from other comments the 6.0 seems to do much better than it used to, so really either should be fine.

BTW. I'm in FL, not real hilly. It didn't love the hills, you're correct about that.

·
Interior Remodeling
1,275 Posts
txgencon said:
Do you drive down hill both ways?? Both my 6.0's get 12. 13 if I'm really lucky on highway. They are both 1 ton vans. 04 and a 06.

·
Registered
585 Posts
I don't really think it matters much... How long are you planning on keeping it? The 6.0 might give you more hours due to working at lower capacity and lower average rpms. I imagine it would be much quicker too.

That said I've driven one with a 4.8 set up for framing, shelves, guns, hoses, 4 chainsaws, big gas compressor, random tools 1500 pounds in the back atleast and it moved around pretty good.

·
Registered
2,504 Posts
Do you drive down hill both ways?? Both my 6.0's get 12. 13 if I'm really lucky on highway. They are both 1 ton vans. 04 and a 06.
Both were 2011 3/4 ton with the 6-speed automatic and I was talking almost exclusively highway for the trip going and returning (not for running around once we got there). About 620-630 mile range on a 31 gallon fuel tank. That range (to me) affirmed what the dashboard computer indicated as the mileage. I do not have a heavy foot.

·
Registered
3,403 Posts
I have a chevy cutaway van with the 6.0 in it and 3:42 gears and the 6 speed tranny. Right now loaded I get 9mpg all the time highway or city. Before I loaded it all up I got 11mpg.

I would deffinetly not get the 4.8 for that size truck. I had my truck weighed, with my normal load of tools its 8800lbs. Once I hook up a trailer its deffinetly lugging up the hills.

I will be doing a gear swap to 4:11 gears as soon as the weather gets a little nicer.

Dave

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
dkillianjr said:
I have a chevy cutaway van with the 6.0 in it and 3:42 gears and the 6 speed tranny. Right now loaded I get 9mpg all the time highway or city. Before I loaded it all up I got 11mpg. I would deffinetly not get the 4.8 for that size truck. I had my truck weighed, with my normal load of tools its 8800lbs. Once I hook up a trailer its deffinetly lugging up the hills. I will be doing a gear swap to 4:11 gears as soon as the weather gets a little nicer. Dave
Won't the gear swap be worse on the mileage? Or are you doing it for pulling power?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts