Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
Not sure but if it's concrete and you're gluing a new floor down in place of it, be careful whatever chemicals you dump onto the concrete doesn't react with the glue for your new floor.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Sorry, should have given more info.

Glued commercial carpet on top of hardwood done in the late 80's.
Customer wants floors refinished. I was hoping to possibly spray the carpet itself and have it soften the adhesive underneath.
The glue that is exposed it kind of rubbery but not sticky.

One room that had most of it pulled doesnt look in bad shape.
We can cut through the remaining stuck pad in that room with a 16 grit paper.

I don't usually get involved with this aspect of the demo because of the headache. ...which is why the other contractor left the job.

*And* I dont want to spend days pulling a carpet that I way underpriced in labor.

I know there is some chem that can be sprayed to the carpet to break down the adhesive. I'm hoping it doesn't need to be mopped/soaked on to the floor so much the it effects the hardwood.

I assume that with the pad & glue that's on there it would protect the hardwood from the moisture.
....but then again that's why I'm posting.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Interested to hear input. I've only ever had one of these. about 200 feet if I remember. I pulled it up by hand with brute force and ground the rest with open grit paper on the drum machine.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I wouldn't use chemicals for it, Mechanical all the way. I'm guessing its double stick carpet and pad?
Not a carpet guy but I assume you mean that pad is attached to the back and part of the carpet itself? Yes it is.

Why no on the chem?

I'm not touching it if its going to be a manual rip.
Heck, I really don't even want to rip it out at all.
*Thought* a chem method would be easier.

...It's just a quote right now & I think I'm ready to bail

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
It's hard to tell method of attack without seeing it . It probably isn't a double stick where an installer would full spread the glue put the pad down, glue over the pad and put carpet down.
Attached pad to carpet is what it probably is, that product really never caught on in Florida .
After pulling up top portion of carpet and whatever pad was left I would grind it off ensuring only light scratching of surface of hardwood.

·
Registered
Remodel
31,158 Posts
Do something like this T&M. You don't know what you'll have to do to the underlying floor until you see it.

If you use chemicals with the carpet in place, you'll be staining the wood underneath, assuming it doesn't have finish already.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts