Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for some help on what kind of tool to buy. Of course less costly is better but I dont want to be beating a little tool and myself into doing the job and having it take to long. So what kind of tool can I get away with drilling 2 inch diameter by 2-3 inch depth mortises in bluestone?

·
Registered
365 Posts
You could try a carbide tipped forstener bit --effective on some stone--not sure about yours. Low rpm and maybe some water to keep it cool. If you are drilling all the way through, diamond core bit is the ticket, but more expensive.

JVC

·
JumboJack for president!
747 Posts
ANy sds max drill can do it. I would say the drill may be about 400 but the bit is going to be about 400 also. If you buy.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
so a smaller rotary hammer can do this? cause the sites say 1/2" max for the smaller $300-$400 ones.

What about a gas drill? They seem to be the way to go to me. It looks like they are the same price as the least expensive rotary hammers and can do the work of the largest ones.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Use a diamond core bit that is designed for dry cutting (has laser welding cutting segments like the ones from Blue Boar and Husqvarna) and you can use a 7" right angle grinder to make the holes in seconds. The core bits use a standard 5/8"-11 thread mount which works for core drills but also for angle grinders which are a lot cheaper.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts