Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Glen
1,504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The guy that owns the Hess gas station that i use to fill my compressor showed me that they have a pump that has no road tax built in for off road vehicles. If you find a place that has it it saves you a couple of dollars per fill. I wonder if I'm the last one in here to know about this?

·
Carpe Diem
20,742 Posts
If you get caught using it for an on-road vehicle, it's around a $10k fine for the first offense.

State police will do "dip" tests around stations that sell that stuff. It's dyed red for a reason. :no:

Don't use it for your vehicle!

·
Registered
4,165 Posts
I knew there was cheaper diesel from the tractor forums I used to go to. I am not sure I know of any stations that have a seperate pum. Stands to reason that some do. I forget what the difference is in the fuel, but If I remember correctly, there was a difference. I think the one that is taxed burns cleaner because it was more refined??

·
Registered
992 Posts
The guy that owns the Hess gas station that i use to fill my compressor showed me that they have a pump that has no road tax built in for off road vehicles. If you find a place that has it it saves you a couple of dollars per fill. I wonder if I'm the last one in here to know about this?
All i use is off road fuel. Its about 50 cents cheaper and the same thing. they never test a regular truck for it.

·
Trial and Error Opperator
2,018 Posts
I've used #2 heating and/or offroad diesel (summer time)

My old 1970 perkins will run about anything throught it.
got to change the filters more though....

Winter I run off road diesel with conditioner.

The guy that brings me the heating oil runs a log cutting and saw mill. he and his dad have run #2 in there diesel's for over 20 years with no problem.

*******BUT DO NOT TAKE MY WORD AND DO THIS!!!! ( Just because I do)*********

the newer compressors my not like it. Check with your sales rep. Please!!

·
Glen
1,504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Angus that's a valid concern. I was told that it was leagle as a pull behind trailer, and I didn't mean to sugest to anyone here do anything illeagle. I think I will check with the Airman manufacturer first as Jim says to see if it is suitable. I don't want to void a warantee or worse to save $two bucks. I guess I could calll the state police just to be sure that it is leagle either way. I will report the answer I get for both points.

"Dyed diesel fuel is intended to be utilized in an off-highway capacity such as agriculture, construction, or logging."

Angus this is from the article you linked. I'm pretty sure we are considered "construction"

It does also state a a fine of $100. and not more than $500. , not $10,000 , just to say. But I thank you for voicing your concerns.

·
Todd
848 Posts
here is the real story...

i am running the off road fuel in my airman all the time...it is low sulphur diesel it runs your older equipment a tad bit cooler because it hasnt been stripped of all the sulphur...it is dyed red so that there is a obvious difference between it and the on road fuel...

the on road fuel is ultra low sulphur fuel...it is made to run in the new technology diesel that are comming out of the companies still producing them today.it is a cleaner burning fuel with less pollutants...

the two can be intermixed and no difference in anything other than your checkbook...

police do not dip tanks...that is up to the DOT...

and the IRS is who will actually be the one that comes after you for there part of the pie that they are getting shorted on....

when was the last time you saw the dot dipping tanks?

i save roughly .50 cents per gallon using the off road fuel...it is the only way to fly especially these days....

·
Registered
272 Posts
I live in a farming community where it is tempting for farmers as well as others to run farm diesel (dyed)in their road vehicles,DOT tests quite regularly around here,especially around sale barns.Dyed diesel works equally well in anything!

·
Todd
848 Posts
yeah i sometimes forget there is people living in areas other than my own...

DOT is almost nonexistant around my area...they do hassle people every once in a while though for correct paper work and license for driving bigger trucks

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
I know a German mechanic who runs a Mercedes Benz repair shop...that is all he uses in his cars...

I've used #2 heating and/or offroad diesel (summer time)

My old 1970 perkins will run about anything throught it.
got to change the filters more though....

Winter I run off road diesel with conditioner.

The guy that brings me the heating oil runs a log cutting and saw mill. he and his dad have run #2 in there diesel's for over 20 years with no problem.

*******BUT DO NOT TAKE MY WORD AND DO THIS!!!! ( Just because I do)*********

the newer compressors my not like it. Check with your sales rep. Please!!

·
Focusing on solutions.
Hardwood floors/custom cabinets
5,771 Posts
It's pretty common to have off road pumps around here. Farm community. I dont' see MO DOT checking for off road fuel abuse around here, but at the Iowa line they're pretty strict about it.

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
I think the one that is taxed burns cleaner because it was more refined??
Depends on the location. In my state, on road diesel is ultra low sulphur. Off road diesel does not by law need such a low sulphur content. But some off-road diesel is ultra-low sulphur. A lot depends on the capabilities of the refineries.

police do not dip tanks...that is up to the DOT...

and the IRS is who will actually be the one that comes after you for there part of the pie that they are getting shorted on....

when was the last time you saw the dot dipping tanks?
Again depends on the location. In Washington, the agency most likely to dip tanks is the Commercial Vehicle Enforcement Division of the Washington State Patrol. I don't know if they are full Patrol Officers, but many if not all carry guns.

I don't know if the IRS has much of a dog in this fight. The US DOT will want their monies, as will the state DOT. I think the IRS is specifically concerned with income taxes.

And I saw the WSP Commercial Vehicle Inspector dip a tank on Tuesday.

Eh... how about a 4 out of ten?

·
Carpe Diem
20,742 Posts
Angus that's a valid concern. I was told that it was leagle as a pull behind trailer, and I didn't mean to sugest to anyone here do anything illeagle. I think I will check with the Airman manufacturer first as Jim says to see if it is suitable. I don't want to void a warantee or worse to save $two bucks. I guess I could calll the state police just to be sure that it is leagle either way. I will report the answer I get for both points.

"Dyed diesel fuel is intended to be utilized in an off-highway capacity such as agriculture, construction, or logging."

Angus this is from the article you linked. I'm pretty sure we are considered "construction"

It does also state a a fine of $100. and not more than $500. , not $10,000 , just to say. But I thank you for voicing your concerns.
BB, I wasn't using that link for anything you said. That was directed towards nlgutters. He said DOT never checks in his state. I was just informing him otherwise.

As for the fines, I have heard they can be as high as $10k. I drive a diesel vehicle so I am a regular on some diesel-rated forums. Now don't forget, the state may fine you (up to $500 in the case of NH) but the IRS will also fine you since running dyed diesel on-road is tax evasion. That fine is the greater of $1,000 or $10 per gallon of the dyed diesel fuel involved. After the first violation, $1,000 portion of the penalty increases depending on the number of violations.

As for off road being different, technically no. It is just dyed so DOT can check. However, not many off road use vehicles, farm or construction have the same emissions as pickups. Especially if you have an '08 or newer vehicle, it must run ULSD. Off road diesel might not be. Also, regular diesel may contain additives for things like keeping injectors clean or anti-gel in winter months that might not be in dyed diesel.

Bottom line, if your vehicle is licensed to drive on public roads, you can get dipped and if so, you will get fined. You will get a citation from the State and will be reported to IRS. I have read reports of the state fines (CA) being as high as $10k. That's not worth it to me. It's illegal to do this. It's tax evasion.

·
Working
4,127 Posts
It's pretty common to have off road pumps around here. Farm community. I dont' see MO DOT checking for off road fuel abuse around here, but at the Iowa line they're pretty strict about it.
For shure IA DOT is :censored: I have gotten dipped 3 times you know how many diesel's I have ZERO It was in an old I-6 ford dump truck. They inpounded the damn truck because the windshield was cracked and wipers didn't work.

Around here they won't let you pump into a truck tank. Has to be a barrel or straight into a tractor etc....

·
Todd
848 Posts
Depends on the location. In my state, on road diesel is ultra low sulphur. Off road diesel does not by law need such a low sulphur content. But some off-road diesel is ultra-low sulphur. A lot depends on the capabilities of the refineries.

Again depends on the location. In Washington, the agency most likely to dip tanks is the Commercial Vehicle Enforcement Division of the Washington State Patrol. I don't know if they are full Patrol Officers, but many if not all carry guns.

I don't know if the IRS has much of a dog in this fight. The US DOT will want their monies, as will the state DOT. I think the IRS is specifically concerned with income taxes.

And I saw the WSP Commercial Vehicle Inspector dip a tank on Tuesday.

Eh... how about a 4 out of ten?
antiwingnut
i am quoting the owner of the jobber supplier in my city at wich i buy from ...i spent about twenty minutes discussing this very topic and was directly told these facts so i am not sure where some of what you have written came from but....anyway
and the irs is also who is invloved also per our conversation who is going to come after you and if you can not prove that you have bought fuel for that vehicle with receipts and recent ones at that then the irs will also calculate there fine based off of mileage of the vehicle invloved going all the way back until you can prove that you did pay for fuel that was taxed.
obviously some states have other departments that are enforcing it but your neighborhood patrol police officers are not involved with dipping tanks...and when it was stated as the "police" that is what was infered...

1 - 20 of 42 Posts