Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

Cheap right angle drill

3287 16
I've been wishing I had a drill for large holes when doing plumbing, etc...but don't do enough to really justify a full blown Milwaukee or whatever. Saw this on Amazon and wondered what y'all think...it's got good reviews.
TruePower HD Compact Industrial 2-Speed 5/8" Right-Angle Drill by TruePower http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004PLIQWY/ref=cm_sw_r_udp_awd_IHUvtb1VEXYZG
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
IMO, you'd have better luck getting an older Milwaukee or Makita at a pawn shop or CL than than that el cheapo.
Reactions: Grogan14 and hdavis
I think I paid 40-50? For my used Makita off eBay.
Sure, what not, it's only 100 bucks.

Heck my Power Fist Recip saw hasn't let me down yet.
find a used hole-hawg on CL
don't waste time with that harborfreight type crap
I'm gonna play devil's advocate here...it's a 100 bucks and comes with a warranty. Buy it and let us know how it works.
cheap tools always fail at the worst time...
So do good tools.
cheap tools always fail at the worst time...
Well, generally I buy the best tools I can...but this is one I really don't think I'd use a whole lot. I figure if I find that I use it a lot, I can upgrade. Not sure if my pride will let me do it though...
You will use it a lot once you have it I always have my right angle drill with me
I've got a Ridgid R7122 mud mixer that I bought to, well, mix stuff with. The thing has a ton of torque, though, and can do some heavy drilling. Around $170.00 and has a lifetime warranty.
I've looked at that drill...it looks compact but tough..
I've got a Ridgid R7122 mud mixer that I bought to, well, mix stuff with. The thing has a ton of torque, though, and can do some heavy drilling. Around $170.00 and has a lifetime warranty.
I thought we were talking about RADs, and the ability to drill between studsandwhatnot :blink:
Yes that looks like the harborfreight crap. I bet it'll work fine.
but at a much much lower frequency... :blink:
So do good tools.
I own vastly more expensive tools so I dunno.
but at a much much lower frequency... :blink:
The first picture looks like a Harborfreight drill. What destroys right angle drills is using a hole saw, running it on the hi RPM setting, and having it grab. Severe grabbing is usually more of a problem cutting for toilet rough ins. If it has a cheap gear box, it will strip out gears - no telling how many times before the gears go.

I wouldn't think twice about using one of those for electrical and smaller holes (up to 3-4 inch) in solid wood.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.