Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Anyone on this board understand why Charlotte County FL would require an individual to have 4 yrs commercial pool cleaning experience and need to pass a Swimming Pool Repair and Maintenance examination to simply clean pools? Again, not repair, but simply clean.

The State of FL has some of the most stringent contactor licensing requirements in the county and the State does not require this, nor does the neighboring counties such as Sarasota.

To me, this is on the verge of insanity and removal of individuals freedom to support their family in the country. Last time I looked I thought we were living in the U.S.A. - home of the free. I can't believe that Constitutionally they can require this.

Any one have any insight on this?

Thank you.

·
Flooring Guru
2,794 Posts
Are you near any swamps?
I am suprised you don't need a gator license to work out there...:)

I wish I knew the answer to your question.

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
rdrap said:
Anyone on this board understand why Charlotte County FL would require an individual to have 4 yrs commercial pool cleaning experience and need to pass a Swimming Pool Repair and Maintenance examination to simply clean pools? Last time I looked I thought we were living in the U.S.A. - home of the free. I can't believe that Constitutionally they can require this.
Three guesses:
1. Untrained pool cleaners were continually making messes the county didn't want to clean up so licensing requirements were iplemented.
2. Pool cleaners were doing repair work that they were not qualified to do and the county didn't want to clean up the attending messes so licensing requirements were iplemented.
3. Qualified pool contractors made enough noise about #1 and #2 that licensing requirements were iplemented.

One other possibility is that some local politicos are heavy into the pool cleaning business.

As far as the constitutionality of the matter? Since the Framers didn't really speak to the matter, I would think it would be a "states issue". Doesn't sound unconstitutional to me. Maybe it's covered under the interstate 'commerce' clause?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You are probably right. However, again another government blunder. Rather than going after those that cause the problems, let's take the easy way out and lump everyone into one group and force everyone to get some type of wacko licensure.

Let's face it folks, we're talking about cleaning a stinking pool here. Let's use a little common sense. So, if I get asked to clean my clients pool, I have to work 4 years as an apprentice cleaning pools for another company then take some bizarre test first?! I don't even think former communist Russia did this to its people.

Someone's lining their pockets and making sure the small guy doesn't get a chance. What ever happened to capitalism, free commerce, and the pursuit of happiness in this country?!

·
Flooring Guru
2,794 Posts
the pursuit of happiness in this country
you have a right to pursuit happiness, not the right to be happy.

I would wonder what they would have to gain by not giving the small guy a chance.
if they are lining their pockets, how much could it be?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts