Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Nothing has been posted here for a while so I'll warm it up...

A few weeks ago I get a call to bid a demo of a structure, and do a site walk through on the property (an hour plus away). I write up a proposal and email it off. I get the go-ahead from the owner and have to tell him I am really busy, it will have to wait a few weeks. He says okay, but texts me a few times in the passing weeks asking if I am still on board.

Finally on Monday evening I write up a Contract and shoot it off to him to sign so we can start Tuesday. He texts me back, saying " The contract reads like I have to pay YOU for the demo. Please clarify." I called him up to discuss, and basically he thought that the proposal that I sent, was an amount I was going to pay HIM to demolish structure!

Doing my absolute best not to tear into him, I ask how he could possably think I was going to pay HIM to demolish and dispose of HIS structure. He responded that I can sell the materials I demo. FYI- It is a stick framed, T 1-11 sided, 3 tab roofed mobile home addition. There is probably 5lbs of copper wiring worth salvaging, other than that........nothing.

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
Welcome to the new normal!

He's doing YOU a favor allowing you to handle his demo.

Welcome to the age of entitlement reality.

Expect it to keep rearing its ugly head in other ways too!

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
I hoped you laughed in his face.

·
Registered
11,559 Posts
I wonder how he was planning on spending his potential windfall. The good part of that story is thinking about the moment his bubble burst.

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
Hey, 5 lbs of copper @ ~$2.50/lb puts you in the BIG LEAGUES buddy!

$7.50

Woo hoo!

What would you do with a windfall like that?!? :laughing:

If you eat off the dollar menu @ McD's, you'd have quite the smorgasbord.

·
1,745 Posts
Hey, 5 lbs of copper @ ~$2.50/lb puts you in the BIG LEAGUES buddy!

$7.50

Woo hoo!

What would you do with a windfall like that?!? :laughing:

If you eat off the dollar menu @ McD's, you'd have quite the smorgasbord.
Hey! Don't short change him in this deal.

$12.50?

·
Registered
541 Posts
I knew a guy who wanted someone to pay him to demo a farm building. He thought the trusses were valuable enough to make it worth it. I was lucky enough to realize what he was thinking early on in the conversation and saved myself the hassle of going to look at it. As far as I know he never got anyone to do it and the thing is still standing.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
I knew a guy who wanted someone to pay him to demo a farm building. He thought the trusses were valuable enough to make it worth it. I was lucky enough to realize what he was thinking early on in the conversation and saved myself the hassle of going to look at it. As far as I know he never got anyone to do it and the thing is still standing.

Some old barns are torn down for free as the old wood is worth some money right now.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Some old barns are torn down for free as the old wood is worth some money right now.
This wasn't one of them. As far as I know it was a 20ish year old garage type thing and the guy thought someone would use the trusses and lumber to hack together a garage for themselves.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts