Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone. We just started a subcontracting job today - siding, soffit and fascia. All materials are provided so it's paying labor only. Here is my question: we're being paid by lf on the soffit and fascia, there are 2 pieces of fascia being installed per :blink:foot - one on top and one on bottom - does that warrant charging each foot as 2 feet? (The labor price is fairly low, $2/foot, but like I said, materials are provided and fascia is already bent.)

·
Registered
Design/Build Remodeling
6,581 Posts
I’m struggling with your second sentence. Did you mean to say “We just started subcontracting today…”

If you went around the entire perimeter and only put up one of the two pieces, would you have “soffit” or “partial soffit”? What were you hired to do "soffit" or partial soffit"? Based on your question, its obvious why you were hired!

·
Registered
Remodel
29,529 Posts
I hope it's written per linear foot of material installed.

There's a contract, right?

If I was asking for a price on a LF basis, I'dd say how many linear feet on the building, and what's being put up.

Normally, I'd just say what's being put up and get a price - subs can figure out how many LF on their own.

·
This space for lease
5,323 Posts
Your post was made one minute after midnight. Do you mean today, as in Friday? Since you have no materials invested you should clear that up with whoever hired you so you have a meeting of the mind. It could be considered lineal building foot and you'd have a hard time collecting. Get it in writing.

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
That's a horrible way of negotiating in my experience. When someone gives you an offer and says, do this and this for this much. When someone tells me that I always say, no but I'll write you an offer. It never works out because they are obviously looking for a low price. So yeah I would bet he's expecting to pay you per foot for both pieces of fascia.

·
This space for lease
5,323 Posts
How do people agree to do work without knowing exactly what they are supposed to be doing?
I think they agreed to a per foot price and assumed per foot of material. Then realized later he may have meant per foot of building. At least it wasn't after the fact.

·
Registered
4,858 Posts
I'm leery of people that already have the materials or will get it and only want the to pay for the labor to have it installed.
My experiences with people like this is they are cheap people, so they shop at the cheapest place in the area and get garbage/culls/etc. Then when it takes longer to install their cheap garbage, they can't understand why it doesn't look as good as they thought and/or, why there's so much waste, and why it cost more than they thought it would to have it installed.....

So if doing homeowner type work, I uses this as a means to screen people. My calender tends to be full in whatever timeframe they need their job to be done.

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
there are 2 pieces of fascia being installed per :blink:foot - one on top and one on bottom

This is totally confusing me?Could you explain what your mean buy "one on the top and one on the bottom?

·
Livin the dream...
6,624 Posts
I'm leery of people that already have the materials or will get it and only want the to pay for the labor to have it installed.
My experiences with people like this is they are cheap people, so they shop at the cheapest place in the area and get garbage/culls/etc. Then when it takes longer to install their cheap garbage, they can't understand why it doesn't look as good as they thought and/or, why there's so much waste, and why it cost more than they thought it would to have it installed.....

So if doing homeowner type work, I uses this as a means to screen people. My calender tends to be full in whatever timeframe they need their job to be done.
Amen to that!

·
Hack
3,010 Posts
there are 2 pieces of fascia being installed per :blink:foot - one on top and one on bottom

This is totally confusing me?Could you explain what your mean buy "one on the top and one on the bottom?
I think they mean that it's a 2 piece built up fascia... Maybe a 10" and a 6".
That's what I thought.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts