Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What would you charge a family member to do cultured stone work for just the labor? Mind you there are a lot of heights involved and I am doing all the prep work- tar paper, lathe, scratch coat, etc. I don't feel right charging 10 a sq ft like I normally would, but want to be reasonable... What would you charge? Any input is appreciated.

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
Recommend them to someone else. Nothing good usually comes from doing work for family. As you could read on numerous other posts.

If you insist on doing it, and I have done work in the past for family with no problems, charge them the same you would charge anyone else. Tell them right out that this is business and you are treating them the same way you would any other client, and then explain why.

·
Interior Renovations
253 Posts
I've never charged a family member for labor. They just cover the cost of materials...If I have someone with me as a helper, I ask them to pay him. Also, they know that even though they're family, my paying jobs are my first priority.

·
Registered
440 Posts
What family? If it's a distant relative I see once or twice a year then full pop. If it's my mom then free.

·
Money Changer
804 Posts
Recommend them to someone else. Nothing good usually comes from doing work for family. As you could read on numerous other posts.

If you insist on doing it, and I have done work in the past for family with no problems, charge them the same you would charge anyone else. Tell them right out that this is business and you are treating them the same way you would any other client, and then explain why.
Either that or do it for free. Only two ways to go. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
What family? If it's a distant relative I see once or twice a year then full pop. If it's my mom then free.
I should have clarified. Yes, I wouldnt charge my mom/pops, sister etc, but cousins and distant family, aunts, uncles, its full price.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks everyone. The relative is my cousin and instead of doing it for free or charging full price I will charge about $500 for a 200 sq ft job. Is this about what you all would do for a cousin?

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
Thanks everyone. The relative is my cousin and instead of doing it for free or charging full price I will charge about $500 for a 200 sq ft job. Is this about what you all would do for a cousin?
Thats %75 off. If you feel comfortable with that, thats all that matters.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
200 hundred sq ft,by the time you apply lath and whatever prep work needs done is a weekend job.if your cousin is going to help,then you take that into account.generally ,if they help i charge more.:whistling,just kidding.but i would think 500 is very reasonable for 200 sq ft.

·
Project Manager HFH..
3,711 Posts
I agree...Free or don't do it...

·
Working
4,127 Posts
I am one of the lucky ones most all of my family is in the construction industry. We all charge full price to each other.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Free because it is family or refer them to someone else. No good ever comes from doing work for a friend or family member for money$$$$

·
Registered
31 Posts
Working for family members

Most of us - I think - are kind hearted and generous enough to want to help our family members get ahead in life, but that doesn't mean you should do the job completely free for them.

Having them pay for materials and not charging for the labor is reasonable, depending on how closely you're related. If the relation is distant, work out an agreement before any work is started. You don't want this to become a heartache or issue later!

Mastercraft Masonry
Professional Masonry Since 1974
www.mastercraftmasonry.net

·
Registered
16,403 Posts
There's a few ways to go about it. I used to do work for other trades people on the side. I would plumb in bathrooms and heating systems and they would fit me new windows, Pave a drive way, Build me a garage and so on. If he has no trade to trade then charge him half price on labor. I do this for my bro in law and he does me favors so it all equals out. If he does nothing for you and is just family then charge him 3/4 of what you would normally charge. He gets a good deal still and you help him out.

·
Registered
48 Posts
My Grandfather is a man of few words, what little advice he gave me as I started my business I took to heart. "In business there is no such thing as family" I have made exceptions but rarely

1 - 17 of 17 Posts