Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I had a funny call yesterday...

A guy calls me and wants his car blasted with "charcoal blasting media" ... actually he was insisting that he wanted it done with charcoal blasting media... because Rick Dale from that TV show American Restoration uses charcoal blasting media it and he says it's the best media available for car restorations.

I asked him if he wasn't mistaken for Black Beauty or Coal Slag? and he said no its charcoal... and everyone is talking about it.

Anyway I've blasted with just about everything... but have never come across "charcoal blasting media"... Am I missing something? :blink:

·
outforablast
93 Posts
I always thought black beauty was coal slag until I was searching for media in California and found out it is actually a by product of copper production

·
Trial and Error Opperator
2,018 Posts
Is it charcoal crushed up ( before burning it) lol
I could see that it would be kind of like a hard soda product....

But after you could collect it and have a barbecue after.

If it makes any sparks while blasting you could just roast hot dogs over the burning car

·
Registered
158 Posts
Can you imagine the amount of black dust blasting with charcoal would make?

He probably meant coal slag and because he saw it on a half hour TV show, that trumps your years of blasting experience.

BTW anyone need a soda blaster? Its the one that the TV show said was going to change sandblasting forever.

·
outforablast
93 Posts
I've used black beauty a few times and wow it's a huge cloud if Black dust and you turn black as well really sucked and I won't use it anymore

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I think it's one of those things were Rick Dale of American Restoration misspoke and he probably meant Coal Slag, but charcoal just sounded better.

Anyway I think we all will be getting a bunch of calls from folks who are going to want everything blasted with Charcoal because Rick Dale said it's the next best thing.

LOL :laughing:

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
I would think that his blast media if a slag would be copper slag due to the abundance around that area. Above was mentioned Black Beauty being copper slag. Not accurate. It is a coal slag but out west your not going to find coal slag much. Copper slag is the most used slag product in that area and cheaper than coal slag due to the transportation cost.

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
that would be a mess! besides, its so soft, he must have mis-spoke
I agree.... but it's funny when you go on a few of the different auto restoration forums and you see people asking about "Charcoal Media" because Rick Dale uses it.

Like I said in the original post I had one guy call me and he insisted his car be blasted by charcoal media because Rich Dale uses it.

A little bit of knowledge in the hands of some can be dangerous. :laughing:

·
Registered
46 Posts
Im gonna go get me some charcoal and grind it up, cant wait to see a fresh blasted black powder covered car.... You got what you wanted buddy, go wash it and then i will blast it again. Just tell him thats what your using and do it in soda or glass. Some people.

·
Glen
1,504 Posts
Tell him to just purchase a skid of whatever he would prefer and have it shipped to you and then charge an additional research fee while you experiment on his vehicle and time with an un proven media. people think we can just pick up a skid of any media and you wouldn't know what grit size works, from no matter how far away with $600 shipping just for them and then charge them $700. for the work.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts