Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 97 Posts

·
Always Learning
8,722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Moved in all our equipment yesterday afternoon. Layout and basement framing started today. Ohio has a new code for fire safety that states either drywall the basement ceiling if using I-joists or use solid 1-1/2" lumber. Our client wants the ceiling open so we are installing 1-1/2" lvl's as joists. Full length 56' on one end. Glad our lift was delivered this morning!

Wood Lumber Grass Roof Boats and boating--Equipment and supplies

Property Foundation Construction Land lot Roof

·
Always Learning
8,722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah I can't tell you they will get crowned. I will give them a quick look but usually they do go back and forth a bit. This will be our first one using them...always used i-joists in the past. Could've used 2x12's but would have meant adding some beams and the client didn't want that.

·
Always Learning
8,722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Wrapping with 5/8 typeX could get you whatever they want for a fire rating. I'm guessing they want to avoid unpredictable collapse during a fire.
Yes. I joist are very dangerous in a fire. Collapse is very likely.

·
Always Learning
8,722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Verified toilets were good today before we started joist layout. My hvac sub and I went over things before we started...I think we should be good. I am sure something will come up, but it's not our first rodeo.

Set our steel beams today, joist layout and started joists. Used our lift to set the bunk of 3300 lbs of joists close to their place. Couldn't imagine moving them by hand. Each one weighed 175 pounds.

Land vehicle Vehicle Soil Construction equipment Tractor

1 - 20 of 97 Posts