Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
8,606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
As most of you know, ContractorTalk.com was designed to be a place where professional contractors from all trades come together to share business and trade knowledge.

Since the beginning, homeowners often find this site as well and want to ask their DIY Home Improvement questions. It's great to see these homeowners take on such projects, but I do not feel that this site is the correct outlet for their questions.

I understand that homeowners will always have questions and that a group of you want to help them. Thats why we've created www.DIYRepair.com. DIYRepair.com is a great resource for homeowners to read articles and ask questions in the how to forum.

Starting today we are making some changes:
* Any new DIY questions that appear on the board will be closed by the moderators and directed over to www.DIYRepair.com/forums/. There is a large group of us who want to help these DIY Homeowners but contractortalk.com is not the right place. DIYRepair.com is.

* Also, in order to clarify the purpose of the board, all new members will be required to list their "Contracting Trade" during registration. Members who do not fit the profile of a professional contractor will be directed to DIYRepair.com

Existing members have the option of adding their contracting trade by filling out the box labeled "My Contracting Trade" here: http://www.contractortalk.com/profile.php?do=editprofile
Make sure you click "save changes" at the bottom of the page after entering the data.

Well, thats it. Feel free to post your feedback about this change in this thread. Hopefully everyone understands that were not trying to kick anyone out, only direct them to the appropriate board.

Thanks! :Thumbs:

·
Registered
269 Posts
A change for the better Nathan! :Thumbs:

·
Registered
348 Posts
Nathan, I am new here so I hope this is not a question I should know the answer to. Can we post questions to other trades or should we keep our questions on target to the trade we belong to?

Jim Bunton.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Thank You ProWallGuy. This seems like a well run board and I sure want to follow the rules. There is a lot of information here I hope I get a chance to add a little.

Nathan thank you too.

Jim Bunton

·
Deck Designer/Builder
2,430 Posts
Good idea Nathan.

I sometimes have questions about areas outside my realm of expertise and have been trying to direct them to the new DIY site (see my post about A/C). I may slip the odd one in over here though :D

Thanks again for all the hard work everyone does here - that goes for the moderators and all the other valuable contractors advice I've received here!

·
paint/drywall
19 Posts
nathan , i'm very new to this site .
i've found it to be an invaluable resource [many thanks to all of you ]
at the minute i'm setting up my own business , the advice and knowledge i've found here has been a great help .
might i add my 2 cents here ?
is there no way that we could all put up our insurance documents if we are genuine and if we [such as myself ]are in the process of getting them be given a grace period [say 3 monthes ]in which to display them .
those that can't display , should not be allowed to post .
that would stop the d.i.y crowd [who some how think we are all some secret kabal here holding out knowledge on them !! ]and those unfairly and illegally undercuting the working man and womans rate from using this very valuable resource .
it might cut down on the dumb questions if you all knew that people were what they said they were !!!
once again many thanks ...one and all .. god bless you all ,i owe you all

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
Decks, Nathan may correct me, but my take is that this site is for contractors to hubbub among themselves over any topic even if it is a DIY of your own. Much like a construction site.
On the other hand, it might be best to discuss these topics on the DIY site to create a database that the DIYers can refer to. It may help keep them out of here.
Maybe we should poll?

·
Deck Designer/Builder
2,430 Posts
Teetor,

I was thinking along the same lines as yourself. I know we all ask questions about things outside of what we know best. I just don't want us jumping all over each other should a contractor post a "DIY" sounding question. Nathan's addition of the "Contracting Trade" field in the profile page may help with the "weeding out" process. I have noticed the DIY site has been picking up as far as traffic goes.

·
Registered
8,606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
As long as your a professional contractor, retired contractor, or contractor in training all your questions are welcome here. That's my stand anyways.

If you have a question about a topic that's outside your area feel free to ask it either here or at www.DIYRepair.com

Make sense?

·
Deck Designer/Builder
2,430 Posts
Sounds good. Thanks Nathan.

Keep up the great work/site. :Thumbs:

·
Registered
364 Posts
Nathan,

Just to be clear here... do you want those of us who are not contractors or directly affiliated to the trade to cease posting in general and become lurkers/go away?

Or are we welcome to post so long as it deals with fur lined handcuffs and not hammers? ;)

I've learned a lot from you guys even though I am just a Suzie Homeowner.... I prefer the more direct and in depth answers with the 'why' behind them that I have gotten here than on other forums.

Let me know, and if you want I'll delete my ID here.

Charles

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Hello all,

I am new here and agree with the concept for the contractors to have a place to talk and discuss issues. Lots of good discussion and information going on here. I do have a question or suggestion. I noticed that at the header there is a list of trades. of which my general interest would be "Electrical". However what I would really be interested in would be another catagory of "Low Voltage Contractor". It would include Security, Telephone, CCTV, Computer Networking, Intercoms, Automation, Home Entertainment, etc. Is there enough interest here or would it be a group of "one"..............me??? Thanks for the consideration and good fortune to all.

Thanks for reading.

Les

·
Registered
8,606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
ABLE1 said:
Hello all,

I am new here and agree with the concept for the contractors to have a place to talk and discuss issues. Lots of good discussion and information going on here. I do have a question or suggestion. I noticed that at the header there is a list of trades. of which my general interest would be "Electrical". However what I would really be interested in would be another catagory of "Low Voltage Contractor". It would include Security, Telephone, CCTV, Computer Networking, Intercoms, Automation, Home Entertainment, etc. Is there enough interest here or would it be a group of "one"..............me??? Thanks for the consideration and good fortune to all.

Thanks for reading.

Les
Ok, here you go... http://www.contractortalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=58

1 - 20 of 20 Posts