Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do owners typically have "due dates" in place to ensure change orders are submitted within a certain period of time, within their contracts?

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
pretty vague...

are we talking about implementation, completion, payment?.......

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
To submit the change to the owner...Once the change is identified would the General Contractor have a specific time frame to submit the change order to the owner. I have ran across a contract that wants all changes turned in within 30 days of identifying the change.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Generally speaking, as soon as you know there is an issue you should be on the phone and have a change order before the work is started... trying to get a CO after the fact is gambling...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I totally agree with you. I have found in working with some of the larger retailers it unfortunately doesn't always seem to work that way.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Too funny Gough...I would like to understand others policies. I know about the Bentonville based retailer... ;)

·
Registered
421 Posts
We do. As in we expect a response within 3 business days after submission of CO to customer for signature or else the price is no longer valid and could go up plus work stops. Many times our customers do as well in terms of us getting a CO to them after identifying the issue that the CO covers. Its a way to keep the job flowing and to keep work from stopping.

·
JimmyS
224 Posts
Our contract says we will try to submit COs for signature before work is performed, but will proceed on a verbal to be followed by CO. We do all custom work, so we produce many COs from owner changes, and also renovations reveal hidden conditions for CO. CO states it is assumed signed if not rec'd back in 10 days. Hmm, maybe that should be 5 days?

My CO form has 10 lines and I often use them all. Some jobs go to a dozen or more COs. So I don't always get CO signature before work is done, rarely in fact. We always price the change verbally before we proceed. It's rare we are questioned about a CO charge. Loosey-goosey but works with the close relationship we develop with our customers.

To the OP I'd say the CO should go out promptly, and the promptness may vary with the relationship with the customer.

Jim

·
Registered
172 Posts
In residential work i like the change order to be singed and payed in full before i even think about doing the work , same day would be nice .

Ive been getting lazy and trying not to generate so much paper work so i have been explaining the change and waiting till i have a few thing to write up .
Ive been bit a few times, but its a cost of doing business ,
Some of my jobs explode into work order changes for one reason or another and i cant type fast enough . John

1 - 10 of 10 Posts