Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
5,855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My neighbor's son has a little lawn business and his father was giving him a hand today trimming some trees.

His son is up on a ladder with a chainsaw when the ladder starts to fall. The father apparently tried to brake the fall of his son, who was still holding a full throttled chainsaw. The saw caught the father's left forearm is two places, down to the bone: two HUGE gashes, just torn open. The father had the sense to pinch off the severed artery or he probably would've bled out.

He's still in surgery as I write this. The son feels total responsible and is a complete mess.

Such a sad, unfortunate, accident.

Single father of four boys.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Thats terrible. At least he will survive. No disrespect but so many people dont realize how dangerous chainsaws are and how easy it is to get in over your head. Hears wishing him a speedy recovery

·
Registered
5,855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thats terrible. At least he will survive. No disrespect but so many people dont realize how dangerous chainsaws are and how easy it is to get in over your head. Hears wishing him a speedy recovery
I fully understand.
I had a ton of similar thoughts & questions (that I kept to myself, of course when I was told what had happened). But, it is what it is: "could've, should've, would've"

I'm sure we've all done stupid things that we wish we could take back. Even if nothing tragic happened, you think afterward, "hey, that was stupid."

It's just a shame. He's a great guy and an awesome father --> despite not being the most safety conscious person to say the least. I could go on, but that's not going to change what had already happened.

I just feel terrible for the whole family.

·
Registered
5,855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Years ago, I was helping my brother build an addition and I was the cut man. The guard kept slowing me down, so I taped it back.

Nothing happened. But, looking back - WHAT THE PHUCK WAS I THINKING!

·
Registered
2,529 Posts
Chainsaws and ladders don't mix. I pound it in to my guys, I am ALWAYS willing to pay for a boom lift rental if needed, your life is worth more than $160.

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
Chainsaws and ladders don't mix. I pound it in to my guys, I am ALWAYS willing to pay for a boom lift rental if needed, your life is worth more than $160.
Come to Ottawa where houses are framed with chainsaws.

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
51,896 Posts
Wow, that sucks. I am so glad there aren't any pictures.

·
Registered
5,855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Wow, that sucks. I am so glad there aren't any pictures.
There are/were, but I feel weird about posting things like this in the first place.

I want to post it so maybe someone woke make the same mistake.

I don't want to post it because I don't want scared people unnecessarily into being overly cautious, second guessing themselves and making a mistake. Adding pictures may fall into this category.

Plus, they were pretty horrific to be honest. Makes you afraid to touch a chainsaw.

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
Thankfully, I don't live in a third world country.
I should take a video, when it's time for lunch you just rev up your saw and cut a slot in the roof sheathing and drop the bar in.

·
Registered
Remodel
29,636 Posts
Kids doing something incredibly unsafe with a chainsaw, and his dad is standing there gawking.

Yeah, his dad should feel bad.

Don't cut off of a ladder

If you are cutting off a ladder, tie it to the tree so it can't fall over when the tree / branch kicks.

Lock your legs into the rungs.

Know which way you're going to throw the saw if you get in trouble.

·
Radical Basement Dweller
26,138 Posts
I have more respect for a chainsaw than any other piece of equipment I own that can maime me.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts