Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
East Hills NY, about 30 minutes from my place, guy fell in a cesspool, walls are caving in, he is alive, he fell in about noon EST. The story is on FOX news right now, GMOD

·
The Remodeler
1,536 Posts
They got him out... I noticed this while reading the story:
More than 40 trucks from different fire departments have responded to the scene.
Over 40 trucks? That's a ridiculous waste of manpower, and equipment. Being a former volly fireman myself, I understand the excitement and willingness for most of the department guys to get on scene, but did they have to call in EVERY neighboring department as well?

Imagine if there was a real emergency elsewhere, and these 40 trucks are all stuck together in some backroads in one big clusterfvck? :rolleyes:

·
Project Manager HFH..
3,711 Posts
I thought this was going to have something to do with the basement.....:laughing:

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
:eek:

"Stinks" to be him. Hope he is okay. That is not the way I would want to go.
It would be bad enough to fall in one,(used or not) but for it to be all over the news...

How long do you think before he can get through a day without asking him if it scared the crap out of him?

He knew he was in deep $h!t when...

He went through a bunch of cheet that night...

The list could go on forever.
I hope he's OK too though. Those rescue guys really know their sh....Oh never mind.

·
Registered
5,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Are you telling me that the health authorities still allow cesspools there?! And who the hell actually builds a new one?
Yes, many areas do not have sewars so cesspools are required. All new work must be precast, but there are still many old laid stone pools in service , GMOD

·
Registered
116 Posts
I believe I had posted before about the guy who for some unkown reason was looking over into a septic tank and his cell phone fell out of his shirt pocket, long story short...splash!!! into what must have been the foulest smelling crap (literally) I have ever smelt. He was ok (well about as ok as one could be) but his pride was smashed. I guess us laughing uncontrolibly at him didnt help much.....

·
13 Licenses & Counting
197 Posts
Yes, many areas do not have sewars so cesspools are required. All new work must be precast, but there are still many old laid stone pools in service , GMOD
Essentially tanks that need to be pumped regularly?

We have septic systems all over the place (I have one in my back yard), but 'cesspools' essentially refer to an open, or barely covered, pond....

Anyway, no cesspools around here, at least permitted ones.

·
Registered
838 Posts

We have septic systems all over the place (I have one in my back yard), but 'cesspools' essentially refer to an open, or barely covered, pond....

Yea they are septic tanks here. I had an old cottage on my property & I was mowing the grass on the backside of it, years ago, when the back of my tractor suddenly dropped, but I had enough momentum to keep going. Looked back to see a big hole in the ground. WTF ??? It was the top of the Septic tank. The metal cover had rotted out------------ Boy, Was I a lucky one............ Since then I had it filled in !

·
Registered
5,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

Its a question of terminology, cesspool around here refers to a covered recepticle for catching and containing household waste. They are designed to leach, but over time fail to so, and at the end of there life, will require reg pumpout depending on use, GMOD

·
Chief outhouse engineer
1,418 Posts
About a month ago I was doing some pointing on a house just down the road. Roofers were there putting the roof on and they said the HO was walking through the landscape and fell into the septic tank. :eek:

She was in up to her arm pits, they were taking lunch and rushed over to help her out.

Turns out the tank was shot and had to be replaced. The roofers were just about to move their scaffold into that area and start the tear off. I had walked across that spot several times looking at the house.

The lady couldn't weigh more than a hundred pounds soaking wet. I guess the vibrations from the fork lift must have been the last straw.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts