Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
8,606 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I'm sure people are going to yell and scream at me for starting this thread. :evil:

Can anyone give me some first hand knowledge about the Certified Contractors Network (CCN) ?
All I know is that a lot of people either love or hate the guy who runs the organization. The people who love him say he gives out great info and the people who hate him say he tries to get free advertising from discussion boards like this one.

Anyways, lets drop the soap opera for a second and evaluate the organization itself.
I've heard some good things about CCN... but it seems VERY Expensive. Is it worth the money?

Thanks
(I'm running for cover now!)

·
Registered
386 Posts
I have never heard of this group, what exactly are they all about ?

·
Systems Fanatic
415 Posts
Nathan,

I was a member of CCN for 3+ years. It did wonders for my business. I was able to learn from some very successful contractors. I learned how to sell more effectively, I learned how to manage more effectively.

It is expensive. And the number of painting contractors involved is fairly small. I found that the investment wasn't worth it for my company. Basically, I concluded that CCN isn't as appropriate to my particular needs as I would like. But I would highly recommend the organization if it fits your needs.

I would be more than willing to answer more questions, if you have anything specific you'd like to know.

Brian Phillips

·
Registered
8,606 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm not sure of the exact price but expense is all realitive to how much value it adds to your business. Thats why I was wondering if anyone had tried it before. I looked into it about 2 years ago and I figured out real quick that its not for start ups.

From Brians post it seems like it was good but not worth it to him.

Heres the website: http://www.contractors.net/

·
Registered
8,573 Posts
I do know I haven't joined because I dislike their pricing structure. Basically you pay upfront for all their services if you use them or not (seminars in particular). I'd prefer to pay for only the services I do use. They have a money back guarantee, but again I'd prefer to pay for only the services/seminars/tapes/brochures/etc.. that I use. I personally feel if they rework their pricing they will have alot more members! It's about $10k for the first year.

I've had discussions with the founder and a few members. I really like *some* of their ideas about systemizing your company (s). SOme of their ideas that they swear by, like their open book policy, I disagree with but overall I think contractor education is a good thing!

I think Rich, the founder of CCN, has alot of knowledge but also has a very abrasive personality. I really hope Rich reads this because I feel like my last e-mail to him was answered with a canned response, and I brought up a few of these points.

Nathan, you said it's not for startups, but I disagree. I think that's the best time! CCN will probably help you through and prevent you from making all the common mistakes... but $10,000.00 is a hard hit to your bottom line when your a startup! Is it worth the 10k? Maybe, but I am not going to risk 10k to find out.

·
Workin' Hard & Havin' Fun
1,763 Posts
OK guys...

I know this is an old thread, but I had a chat with a rep from them, and I'd love to hear an update on thoughts & feedback on these guys.

I like the idea of systems, better business knowledge & practices, networking... but I'm hesitant of the "do it my way" mindset, and the above mentioned price.

OK guys...(& Gals) Any thoughts?
www.contractors.net

~Matt

·
DGR,IABD
9,683 Posts
I'm curious why you feel the overwhelming need to investigate this? If you're in Reading, that's a freaking boom town right now. I was there a few months ago for a short school, and it's like "Little Philly" with all the commercial construction going on. It looked like RACC was taking over the middle of the city.

·
Workin' Hard & Havin' Fun
1,763 Posts
I'm curious why you feel the overwhelming need to investigate this? If you're in Reading, that's a freaking boom town right now. I was there a few months ago for a short school, and it's like "Little Philly" with all the commercial construction going on. It looked like RACC was taking over the middle of the city.
I'm investigating because my business isn't as good as it could be. Sure, we've seen 50% - 120% growth per year, but that's just the gross sales... the actual profit... well... this is the first year (in 5) that I've received a steady paycheck.
They promise assistance in making your business better, more efficient, and more profitable. I'm interested.

I'm also interested in knowing about anyone who used then- if it went well, or if it bombed. I'm always interested in better methods, but I want to try new things with my eyes open. :)

As for Reading... I think we have some good opportunities. We're not out of the deep end yet, the city's taxed highly, and has a history of poor management. But, it's a nice location, is fairly well connected, and housing has been growing steadily- not the 2-much 2-quick growth of other areas. It's right between Allentown, Harrisburg, and Philadelphia. Nice for the long term.

Oh, and RACC? They chewed up a lot of parking for the new buildings... and they were short to begin with! (I attended 99-02).

I'm not as interested in the commercial, except for our snow removal division. I'm more interested in the new home construction, where we do most of our decks.

As an electrician though, I could see where the commercial & institutional growth seen here would be great for you!

~Matt

·
Captain of the Titanic
708 Posts
Matt, Saw this old post / thread. If you want more info on this, contact me, I am a CCN member

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
certified contractor. clearly a contractor who has met predetermined parameters to qualify for a certification. this is the backbone of member relations associations. member relations is a lucrative business. I would love to operate one. the revenue for dues, inhouse ceu's, events, testing etc. would be fantastic.
to the buying public, the certification provides an air of credibility, a powerful tool.

oh I forgot the ad revenue & subscription to the

·
Registered
7,182 Posts
Vinny,

Could you share your experiences in an open forum instead of counting on a PM from just one member?

You will need at least 20 posts before you can PM other members anyways, so let us know how or if CCN helped your company out.

How do you feel about the SCSP, the Sales Cost Savings Program?

Do their manuals and training guides provide invaluable assistance? Or, does it require the multiple sales boot camps and other meetings to become viable and successful?

How long before you find you receive a return on your continuing investment with their organization?

What about their affilliate programs with other consultants? Which programs are worth the time and investment?

Why is their Phorum closed to public viewing now a days, versus several years ago, when it was accessable?

Any other comments would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Ed

·
Captain of the Titanic
708 Posts
Ed, I dont know if i did this correctly. I hit post reply, I think. This is my first experience on this site as I am freshly registerd. Maybe you can help me through, I am not very forum use savvy. I dont even know what a pm is and how do we move this to an open forum?
As for your other questions, I personaly still have issues with the SCSP. Dont misread me on this, I think its a great closing tool when used correctly but I just have a hard head on the issue so I am not a big enforcer on this individual item. On my DISC assesment it shows I would not be a strong sales person. Its not that I mind selling. Its just that I know when I say I need to think about it to a sales person I mean I want to mull it over because I'm not ready to buy and dont want to be pushed so when a prospect says that to me I hear what I have said and back off. I dont want my sales people to be to pushy either so for better or worse it doesnt get used consistantly here and if you dont use it consistantly you shouldnt use it. CCN would frown to some extent but I think you can get the same results by advertizing a special offer that is time stamped and good for only a limited time.
What you need to know about CCN is they arent going to say you cant be a member if you dont do this or that, after all you still own your buisness, but a finger will be pointed at a percieved short coming if you were to complain that the sales system wasnt working and then said you dont use the scsp. You cant expect top results of a system you arent using 100% of. But I gotta tell you, we never had any sales system so the ccn system is big for us. You should also know that I know very successful members that have taken some creative liberty with the system and had fantastic results but I think we all use 90% of the basics and dont change those.
the manuals and training guides are invaluble, again speaking as someone who had no sales background at all. But there are a couple of boot camps that are in my opinion the brass ring. They give a new member buisness planning boot camp that was probably the best buisness experience of my contracting career. The substance was profound for me and most of any attending person.
I feel i recieved return on my investment in the first year after BPBC. I would gues though it would depend on where your at in your buisness to some extent.
I really couldnt tell you why thier forum is closed. I originaly joined in 2000 but I wasnt participating in anything and they were really just getting started. So i pulled out and then when I was better suited for the network i rejoined in 2005

·
Registered
7,182 Posts
Vinny,

You did just fine. By posting your reply, it becomes available for all to see in an open forum.

The PM means Private Messaging, which would just be an individual chat with one exclusive forum member. The rest of us would not be able to learn from shared experiences if everything was just PM'd between a select group of individuals.

Thank you for sharing so far.

Is there any other relevant "Secrets" that might stir up some additional interest in the CCN organization?

Ed

·
Captain of the Titanic
708 Posts
No real secrets Ed. I can tell you that as a non roofer, siding, window, door, contractor i'm kind of a black sheep there. I'm not sure if I am accepted by some of the "old gaurd" members but by and large I network and get along with most. My buisness model is very much like a residential roofer and a roofer is who got me involved. Our average sale is arond $11,000, we cant work in the rain, there are slow seasons, we need leads, sales, admin like those buisnesses.
There are things in those industries that are so allien to mine its unbelievable. I never knew i can offer financing and now through my affiliation with CCN I can. I never knew leads and sales was something that to some great extent can and need to be managed. I'm lucky to get a steak from my asphalt supplier and there was a roofer from CT that told me he got a trip to aruba from his siding supplier.
The founder of CCN past away last year, right at the start of a conference. The network has gone on and now has a new president. I believe he is a ceo type and will want to continue expanding membership. The end of year conference is always great fun and great learning.

·
Captain of the Titanic
708 Posts
certified contractor. clearly a contractor who has met predetermined parameters to qualify for a certification. this is the backbone of member relations associations. member relations is a lucrative business. I would love to operate one. the revenue for dues, inhouse ceu's, events, testing etc. would be fantastic.
to the buying public, the certification provides an air of credibility, a powerful tool.

oh I forgot the ad revenue & subscription to the
Hey pool man, where in CT are you?
Here again please excuse my ineptness on the functionality of this site. i'm sure I didnt reply to you correctly but, oh well!
I know CCN wasnt really making any money to speak of. Richard loved to help others, his way but none the less he loved it. Certification was the hopful pie in the sky he was after. It would definetly add credibility and help sell at a higher price. I dont care what industry you want to talk about, prices are to low for most and mostly its difficult to grow on some of the pricing thats out there.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts