Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello every one I’m new at this I’m probably positive this is the hundredth time this issue has been posted during the year. Advice please
Who what where when
Myself of Journey level experience background trying to complete application packet for California contractor state license board. On of the forms to complete is specifically titled as “certification of work experience”
I have already reached out to a former employer asking for their cooperation with this but they will not. According to them I was hired on as a laborer, unbeknownst to me I was hired as a Laborer but clearly I was functioning on a day to day basis as employe of a journey level expertise, meaning I was hands on completing projects of a journey level background individual.
Their response has been totally unexpected and quite frankly I don’t get it. My question is it common for contractors in this case former employers to completely flat out not want to certify somebody’s work experience? Is this a common practice they get away with? Is it common to not want to sign somebody’s work experience verification?
I do have check stubs I do have W-2 but I am unable to get certification of work experience signed by a former employer, not having this form signed will document my application as INCOMPLETE and invalid as far as I know.
Anyone ideas? Thank you.

·
Registered
GC
517 Posts
I have no idea why they wouldn't verify your work experience, unless they actually did consider you a laborer.

·
GC/carpenter
GC/Carpenter
42,715 Posts
Try here.

Mike.
___

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Can you get one of your fellow coworkers that has worked with you, sign off for you? Maybe not the big boss, but a PM or the like?

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
What kind of terms did you leave on? Proper notice or sky-up see you later? If you left on proper terms I would go face to face. If they hired you as a loborer different story. What Mike posted above should tell you

Mike

·
Calif Licensing Expert
1,940 Posts
Hi NewBoodie and welcome to CT! Yes, it's common for employers not to want to sign. You'd become more competition for them, or they're worried that the cslb might come after them for some reason (doesn't happen), but the upside is that anyone with first hand knowledge of your experience can by our certifier. Fellow employee, another journeyman, another contractor, building official, etc.

So don't stress. Show the experience as an employee of that contractor, grab a friend to sign the form and you're good to go.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Everyone thank you for your input yes everyone’s advice and input is accurate. Furthermore I have called cslb and they’ve confirmed just as you guys did. It is a common thing for certain scumbag contractors to not want to acknowledge certification of work experience by signing. The good news is other fellow Journey level coworkers, foreman or supervisory personnel are just a few options of whom can sign this document and act as a “VERIFYER”. Again thank you, you are right, I will not stress no need to.
For all you newbies on this forum like myself should you come across this same exact scenario once again, IT DOES NOT NEED TO BE THE OWNER(S) OF THE COMPANY to sign “verify” your certification of work experience”. It can be a coworker who knows about your expertise your experience, is another option. This important where you claim to have gotten this experience, the name of the company and contractors license number must match and EXIST.

·
Calif Licensing Expert
1,940 Posts
Everyone thank you for your input yes everyone’s advice and input is accurate. Furthermore I have called cslb and they’ve confirmed just as you guys did. It is a common thing for certain scumbag contractors to not want to acknowledge certification of work experience by signing. The good news is other fellow Journey level coworkers, foreman or supervisory personnel are just a few options of whom can sign this document and act as a “VERIFYER”. Again thank you, you are right, I will not stress no need to.
For all you newbies on this forum like myself should you come across this same exact scenario once again, IT DOES NOT NEED TO BE THE OWNER(S) OF THE COMPANY to sign “verify” your certification of work experience”. It can be a coworker who knows about your expertise your experience, is another option. This important where you claim to have gotten this experience, the name of the company and contractors license number must match and EXIST.
Don't bother calling the cslb call center, 9 out of 10 times you'll get bad advice. Reach out to me here or go to my website. I've covered certifiers quite a bit in my CA licensing thread over the years.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts