Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Holy crap enough with the $500 a year BS home inspection certification. Is there a real government certification for home inspectors? NO NACHI NO ASHI NO BOCHI OR COTCHI POSHI.... Enough!! What a scam. I would think in Michigan a GC license would be enough and it is. People like to see licenses. If not I guess I'll make one.

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
A MI GC license can be held by a desk jockey who would probably be a very poor home inspector.

Usually you can get enough qualifying experience on the multiple areas of knowledge necessary. Civilized state have a home inspection that includes a test that can be taken after you produce previous inspection reports and have done 200 or more inspections. Unfortunately, for you the test is usually very similar to the ASHI test used for qualifying ranks. You do not have to be a member of the hated organizations you listed, but it does help when you try to buy insurance.

A home inspection is not necessarily a code inspection, but concentrates more on safety, current conditions and expected future repairs and replacement of things (HV/AC, electric, roof, landscaping, etc.). It is not for retired "nail benders" and wire pullers because of the wide range of knowledge and be able to tell someone when to go to get detailed help from one of the trades. The best paid home inspectors (always certified) are the toughest SOBs that have high $$ rates that are paid by someone selling and wanting to have a home pass later without getting into last minute price negotiations before closing.

Reactions: TAHomeRepairs

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Michigan is one of four states that require you to take a 60 hour course and continuing education and a real exam. I think that's a little better training than an online course / test. That's why I am asking if there is something creditable other than my license. In Michigan a GC license holds more weight than some paper from a Marriott course.

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
Michigan has some strange ideas (I lived there for 7 years -upper lower MI) and am aware of the ways things are usually done.

For home inspection, a "licensee" is not that meaningful when there is an option for "certification" by a state and may be recognized if the granting state has high enough standards. Pity the poor inspector that operates in a state that has no certification.

All too often licenses can be bought from a municipality, but usually a state certification has a little more added to it.

Just take a one week ASHI or similar class and learn about the facts, procedures and you need to know in the real world that goes beyond construction and remodeling if there is a problem with your performance.

Being from bankrupt Detroit should not be your credentials if you know what I mean.

I paid $800 (2 day) class for a window and door certification class to just learn about how it should be done to satisfy customers, contractors, insurance companies and the courts of what was really done. Most of the guys in the class were there on the clock because their employers (builders, GCs and window installers) felt it was worth the time and money to show the dedication to good construction.

Every state has its own requirements and localities can have higher requirements to get customers than a lower price.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Trying to become an inspector is BS. In MA you need to be trained by someone currently doing it for work and you must intern for them for a year and then do another year or so on your own, but with them "supervising". There is zero incentive to train your competition, so guys who have the license only train their friends and family. A 1k sq ft house costs $500 min, a detailed inspection with a blower door test, thermal imagine, etc up to 2500 sq ft is in the $1200-1500 range. My friends have called me in for a second opinion and I have found long lists of things missed by the inspectors because they aren't held liable for anything they miss. Even the fact one "new" roof had zero flashing on the walls or heads, all tar caulked on.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
BFD I completely agree it's BS. Every inspector I meet has some kind of side scam. I just want to make an honest living. Its a lot more bs than what's one the surface. Check out "the foundation" they write most of the bs software. It's been interesting.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts